Anybody ever use a clay baker?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rocklobster

Master Chef
I found this clay cooker at a second hand shop last year. It had never been used. It is a cooking implement from Italy made from volcanic rocks that promises to remove fats and harsh acids. It claims to transform economic cuts of meat to create a tenderness and flavour that would only be achieved through slow cooking." I have only used it once and never really noticed any difference.(Actually, I forget what I cooked in it). I think it is time to use it again. There are a few recipes with the manual but any other suggestions as to what I should try in it?

Here is a bit more info Healthy from 25 to 100: Cooking on a La Cotta

Attachments

• 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 224
  • 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    57.9 KB · Views: 183
Last edited:
It's an Italian version of a small Dutch oven, where Terra Cotta is cheaper than cast iron. The ability to flip the contents is a neat advantage.

The promises to remove fats and harsh acids is snake oil (fictional promises.) Yes, it may melt off some of the fat from a fatty piece of meat, but no more so than any other cooking vessel.

It's an Italian version of a small Dutch oven, where Terra Cotta is cheaper than cast iron. The ability to flip the contents is a neat advantage.

The promises to remove fats and harsh acids is snake oil (fictional promises.) Yes, it may melt off some of the fat from a fatty piece of meat, but no more so than any other cooking vessel.
Actually, it doesn't seal tight. The manual warns about not flipping...

I had a clay cooker.It worked just fine but like Selkie said, I don't think it cooked any better than other vessels.

You need to soak it for an hour submerged in water before using.That is why I gave mine up.

Looks like it might be useful in a cooking on a hearth or other rustic setting. Why would you use it in a modern kitchen?

Looks like it might be useful in a cooking on a hearth or other rustic setting. Why would you use it in a modern kitchen?

Hey .40. It looks that way, but the promo and manual look like it was from the 80's. The handles are plastic and the metal is fairly thin, so it probably wouldn't hold up to extreme heat. I think it was designed for stovetop cooking. I have used it on my gas range.

Rocklobster, I have a BIGGER clay baker and I love it. It really does make things moist and tender and delicious.

Yep, I know that. You can still use it in much the same manner. I've seen those ones used too. I've even seen one used on the BBQ. Best chicken thighs EVER.

I had a clay cooker.It worked just fine but like Selkie said, I don't think it cooked any better than other vessels.

You need to soak it for an hour submerged in water before using.That is why I gave mine up.

The only clay bakers I have are the Rompertof ones and those only have to be soaked for 15 minutes before using. This one may be different, though.

The only clay bakers I have are the Rompertof ones and those only have to be soaked for 15 minutes before using. This one may be different, though.

Mine was a romertoph too. My bad! I owned it close to twenty years ago and remeber soaking it longer.If you say 15 is all that is needed your probably right.

Mine was a romertoph too. My bad! I owned it close to twenty years ago and remeber soaking it longer.If you say 15 is all that is needed your probably right.

The first time I used it I soaked it for an hour or so. For each use after that first time it is for 15 minutes.

I learned this the hard way because the first Rompertof I bought was bought from a thrift store. It had never been used but had no box and no directions. I knew it was a clay pot but didn't know you had to soak it so the first time I used it to bake a chicken it turned out terrible so I stopped using it. Then, when I was covering a trade show on kitchen appliances they had a booth and I was able to get the info booklet that comes with the clay pot. So, then I soaked it for over an hour and baked a chicken and it came out heavenly! I now have about 4 different sizes of those clay pots.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom