"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Click Here to Login

Old 04-04-2020, 05:02 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Anyone familiar with using a leg of proscuitto?

I bought a leg of proscuitto, something like this

https://www.costco.com/d'artagnan-18....11679636.html

And while I've been concerned about mold on it and people said it's fine, it now just tastes very different and bad.

Not sure if there's an actual change. I let the original plastic wrap sit on it for a few weeks initially until mold developed in the wrapped areas which lacked air circulation.
Then I added plastic covering to the top to prevent dehydration. However at this point the meat tastes not like before. It's squishy, its flavor is a bit weird. Not sure if it's actually gone bad or if it's natural, or anything.

It's been 3 months by now.

FoodCookerino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 05:50 PM   #2
Executive Chef

If your taste buds are telling you it doesn't taste right, LISTEN to them!

medtran49 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 06:58 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
As someone pointed out in another thread, now is not the time to be taking chances with iffy food. You do not want to have to go to the ER with food poisoning right now. Not that you really ever do, but it would be particularly risky and scary now.
Old 04-04-2020, 07:15 PM   #4
Assistant Cook

Thanks guys for the concerns but it's been tasting this way since before quarantine.

I gave it to someone who thought it was OK and not like I did so I can't say it tastes 'bad' but definitely not appetizing at all right now. I would feel a bit slimy and sickened to eat too much of them for instance.

I am mostly hoping that someone here maybe has had experience with this stuff and would really know what's going on.
Because apparently there is a lot going on with the 'ongoing' curing process of the meat where some surprising things are 'OK' such as outright mold.
Old 04-04-2020, 07:26 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

I would take it back to the retailer you bought it from and ask them to exchange it for another one. It doesn't make sense to take chances on something you don't find appetizing anyway.

In my area, Virginia country ham has mold on it after curing for several months, but people don't eat it.

My mom says she has an iron stomach, but I wouldn't eat some of the stuff she does. Someone else's opinion doesn't matter much to me.
Old 04-04-2020, 08:32 PM   #6
Senior Cook

mold is a part of the process although how much and which kind that applies to your instance is a question that needs a deeper dive. i've been following this guys process before attempting my own. maybe there are some tidbits in there.

this guys talks about mold and how it is normal around 3min mark. country ham but similar base.

3min mark here he talks about mold and how it's a good sign
GimmeAnother1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 06:43 AM   #7
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoodCookerino View Post
I bought a leg of proscuitto, something like this

https://www.costco.com/d'artagnan-18....11679636.html

And while I've been concerned about mold on it and people said it's fine, it now just tastes very different and bad.

Not sure if there's an actual change. I let the original plastic wrap sit on it for a few weeks initially until mold developed in the wrapped areas which lacked air circulation.
Then I added plastic covering to the top to prevent dehydration. However at this point the meat tastes not like before. It's squishy, its flavor is a bit weird. Not sure if it's actually gone bad or if it's natural, or anything.

It's been 3 months by now.

Quote:
Thanks guys for the concerns but it's been tasting this way since before quarantine.

I gave it to someone who thought it was OK and not like I did so I can't say it tastes 'bad' but definitely not appetizing at all right now. I would feel a bit slimy and sickened to eat too much of them for instance.

I am mostly hoping that someone here maybe has had experience with this stuff and would really know what's going on.
Because apparently there is a lot going on with the 'ongoing' curing process of the meat where some surprising things are 'OK' such as outright mold.
But you did say it tasted bad...

We've never purchased a whole prosciutto, but have kept sliced prosciutto too long when we've forgotten about it. It does develop an off putting flavor after a while.

Yes, mold is allowed to develop as a part of some curing processes, but it has to be the "right" kind of mold, and is usually periodically washed off and reinnoculated during the process. Mold growth can be beneficial or it can be dangerous.

We've successfully cured various small cuts of meats and sausages, though never with mold as part of the process because we live in too hot a climate and don't wish to invest in something big enough, like a dedicated refrigerator, to hold large pieces of meat, or the time involved. You need to know what you are doing and going by something on the internet might not be the best idea. We purchased reputable books and studied them, as well as reputable web sites extensively before we started curing meats. This is not something to play around with or fly by the seat of your pants.

Lastly, "squishy " should never be used to describe prosciutto or any other cured ham. Your prosciutto would already be in the garbage if it were mine, regardless of the cost.
Old 04-05-2020, 06:49 AM   #8
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I would take it back to the retailer you bought it from and ask them to exchange it for another one. It doesn't make sense to take chances on something you don't find appetizing anyway.

In my area, Virginia country ham has mold on it after curing for several months, but people don't eat it.

My mom says she has an iron stomach, but I wouldn't eat some of the stuff she does. Someone else's opinion doesn't matter much to me.
I don't think even Costco would take a food item back after 3 months.
Old 04-07-2020, 06:07 PM   #9
Assistant Cook

To add, half of the ham is extremely almost inedibly hard and tough. The other half is ok ish.
Old 04-07-2020, 06:28 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Your story seems to change with every post. If you don’t want to take the advice that has been given by more than 1 person, then...
Old 04-08-2020, 12:54 AM   #11
Assistant Cook

It's probably helpful for me to provide new and updated information to see if there is any new judgement.
Old 04-08-2020, 06:48 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
It's probably helpful for me to provide new and updated information to see if there is any new judgement.
Not really. What you have is garbage. Throw it out. In any case, I'm not sure why you want to risk food poisoning by asking strangers about this... Unless you're just pulling our legs It wouldn't be the first time someone tried that.
Old 04-08-2020, 10:09 PM   #13
Assistant Cook

Ok thanks guys