Anyone know what is in folded paper?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

binaryMoods

Assistant Cook
It's a painting by Luis Melendez a 18 century Spanish artist. I'm very curious what could be in those two folded paper packs?

I don't know where else to ask, and thought this forum would have people who may know the answer.

Thanks

tuchman6-24-3.jpg

I will guess that they are sachets of herbs and spices, seasonings. This is based on the fact that there are garlic cloves, a duck, a frying pan, and what looks to be maybe a mortar and pestle. But its is just my best guess.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

The Bird appears to be a partridge, I actually found a similar painting by the same artist, same kind of bird, in addition to the garlic and white packets, there are onions as well ( which are not shown in this pic)

Its called - Still Life with Partridges, Cloves of Garlic and a Jar --- The other painting you're talking about is a little different Bodegón dos perdices, cebollas, ajos y vasijas-meléndez.jpg - two partrides, onions, garlic and vessels.

320px-Bodeg%C3%B3n_dos_perdices%2C_cebollas%2C_ajos_y_vasijas-mel%C3%A9ndez.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I also think these could be herbs and stuff. But I would also think herbs would've been wrapped differently i.e. a cone shape.

More likely spices than herbs. Herbs would be fresh and therefore not wrapped up like that. Could be saffron, peppercorns, who knows.

I don't think peppercorn were grown in Spain back then.

My guess is peppercorns. Pepper was a very rare and expensive spice and the merchant would have wrapped them carefully rather than just dump them in your hand. I'm not aware of saffron being used with wild game. Much to light a flavor.

It's a painting by Luis Melendez a 18 century Spanish artist. I'm very curious what could be in those two folded paper packs?

I don't know where else to ask, and thought this forum would have people who may know the answer.

Thanks

tuchman6-24-3.jpg

Welcome and thank you so much for asking us! What a fascinating thread it's turning into.
I love food and art, and art about food! Bravo.

Thanks! I have more, I just posted lol. I'm glad there are people here interested in cooking, arts and history. I think it is fascinating to think of what they used to eat, how they used to cook.

Back
Top Bottom