Anyone knows about dead vegetable white bugs?????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kenny1999

Senior Cook
Another strategy, I had a bag of uncooked vegetables left in a badly ventilated corner and for all kinds of reasons, only after weeks when I found the disgusting smell and I found the vegetables became smelly paste and threw them away immediately, however, at the same time I saw quite a number of white bugs (not too small in size, not too big though) staying and climbing on the dead vegetables paste, but they were so strong and lively and couldn't be killed with my strong steps.

I'm not able to check everywhere, but at the moment, I don't find any such white bugs left in my apartment.

I was too nervous and didn't take any picture, does anyone have an idea what those bugs were? (so strong, so lively and couldn't killed easily)

My concern is if they could leave the dead vegetable paste and live and hide and reproduce somewhere in my apartment, or if they only like to stay in those dead vegetables paste and will not relocate?

Thanks so much!!!!! I'm so worried

It could have been almost any bugs that laid eggs in the composting vegetable material, they just hatched into worms or young bugs. They probably stayed where the composting vegetables were because it is rich in nutrients for them.

not a lot of bugs that enjoy vegetables that are white.
lookup "whitefly"

otoh, a lot of bug larvae are white / white-tish . . . but a worm like larva does not sound much like your experience...

The only "food bug" that I can think of that has a larval form that isn't a soft, squishy, worm-like thing is meal bugs, but they aren't all that white.

Last edited:
With mealy worms, some are white with bits of brown, but mostly brown, are definety hard to squish and don't look like flies but catepillars.

Hi all above. I am NOT sure what they are, but the fact is - they were white in color, and WASN'T KILLED or even hurt at all by my step or hit. What were they??? So horrible!!

My primary concern is if they would like to stick to the dead vegetable or if they would migrate to other places! Luckily (or unluckily?) I don't find any yet. Any idea or guess??

Kenny, all animals, including insects, need food and water to survive; worms like that generally turn into flies of some type, so watch for those. If you have removed the infested food and bugs, the worms are probably all gone. I suggest you thoroughly clean that area - with gloves on! - and check your other food supplies to make sure there aren't any more. Good luck.

I would hazard a guess that you got rid of them all when you cleaned up. That's based on you have not found any more.

I just spent quite some time googling bugs and now my skin is crawling and itchy. Yech!

But did they look anything like the ones in this link? Sorry couldn't separate the picture at the moment.
sustainable diet for the future

I just hope it is not my future.. :-p

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom