Anyone use bitters?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

georgevan

Senior Cook
I bought some rhubarb bitters a few years ago and can't even remember why I bought it but it sits there unused. Am wondering what to use it in or on.

Bitters are used in some cocktails, e.g., an old fashioned. We bought a bottle of Angostura Bitters for that specific purpose.

I bought a selection of different flavors of bitters for DH a couple of years ago for Christmas. He really liked the coffee flavor in his gin and tonic, so I started making it. It's pretty easy, although it can be time-consuming waiting for the flavors to infuse the liquor.

There´s a delicious cocktail here called a "Caribe" ( the local word for a piranha fish!). Ice, a generous shot of rum, a splash of bitters, 7-Up and lime juice.

Ice cream topping?

I recall seeing a recipe that used some kind of bitters in (or perhaps as?) an ice-cream topping. Rhubarb bitters on vanilla ice-cream seems to me like it would be a great combination.

And GotGarlic - I am a big gin-and-tonic fan, but putting coffee flavor in it sounds like the craziest thing in the world to me. I'll have to try it! I make my drinks fairly heavy on the lime; would you recommend cutting down on the lime (or dispensing with it entirely) when using the coffee bitters? Would you mind sharing what recipe/proportions you use when you mix yours?

Last edited:
I recall seeing a recipe that used some kind of bitters in (or perhaps as?) an ice-cream topping. Rhubarb bitters on vanilla ice-cream seems to me like it would be a great combination.

And GotGarlic - I am a big gin-and-tonic fan, but putting coffee flavor in it sounds like the craziest thing in the world to me. I'll have to try it! I make my drinks fairly heavy on the lime; would you recommend cutting down on the lime (or dispensing with it entirely) when using the coffee bitters? Would you mind sharing what recipe/proportions you use when you mix yours?
Just to be clear, this is my husband's drink, not mine. He doesn't use lime at all - he's not a fan of cutting things ;) I would suggest making your drink with the proportions you like, without the lime juice, and then add a splash of bitters.

Angostura bitters are used to make Pink Gin, a British Navy tradition.

Plymouth gin is the traditional sort for this drink. It should be very cold.

K8JoZ7T.jpg

You can pop the glasses (martini glass or the like) and gin in the freezer for a bit. Then give the iced glass three or four dashes of bitters and add the gin, giving it a swirl before drinking.

Some people prefer to pour the gin first, then add the bitters: the sort of issue that looms large in the British brain.

dNExuVn.jpg

Bitters were first sold as a tonic for seasickness (hence the naval connection). Just as tonic water (with quinine) was a remedy for tropical fevers.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom