Anything you eat leave a long after taste.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

georgevan

Senior Cook
I started using sesame oil on my salads and found it leaves a long after taste days later. Not that I mind it but it something I never thought of. Can't think of any other food that does the same thing but there probably is some.

Only salty things, like too many chips or pretzels. Certainly not for days.

Do you have salad with it every day? Perhaps you should cut back on the oil a bit.

I know that certain smells 'get up my nose' and I can smell them for days.

Garlic can do it.

There's a group of 3 family style Italuan American restaurants on Long Island, NY called La Parma.
They are famous for serving dishes with so much garlic that the smell of it oozes out of your skin for days afterwards.

bucky, lol. You're so funny, and I like what you post. I believe you. Garlic does come out of your pores.

Songs that never end, gets in my ears, specifically, the song goes on in my mind. The song that never ends. It just goes on and on and then.........

I was once married to a man that wore old spice. I wasn't aware of what it was, it was just his scent. About 3 years later, one of the kids came downstairs stinking to high heaven, my gut reaction was, I need to puke. I asked him what he put on himself, he told me old spice. I said, where did you get that? He said, it was in the bathroom. I now think it was very funny and I probably could take old spice again, now that time has passed.

Lol, bliss. My dad and uncles wore Royal Copenhagen aftershave, as well as others.
My siblings and I all stank of cheap but ethnocentric aftershave every Sunday after many hello and goodbye hugs and kisses.

But I must protest: for pale blue people such as my family, garlic actually does ooze from our sun-addled thin skins.

Last edited:
That sesame oil aftertaste has always been a good one, for me, as I like it so much.

Definitely garlic and onion, but not always. Raw garlic and onion are the worst, but some worse than others, and onions get much worse as they age - what happens to the onions in delis and the like, where early sliced onions get really strong, and leave a really strong aftertaste. Same with chopped scallions in salads - the reason I use chives in so many salads, that I save leftovers from, as they don't develop that strong flavor.

Many years ago - in the 80s and early 90s especially - I remember many, if not most, Italian restaurants would leave a strong garlic aftertaste in my mouth. Now, it's hard to use more garlic than I do in many of my dishes, but I never had this happen, even with recipes with 2 dozen cloves of garlic, but I figured they were using dried garlic, or that minced garlic with chemicals in it, which a lot of those restaurants used back then. Fortunately, they started getting access to the fresh, pre-peeled garlic, which is everywhere now, and I think most of them use that, and I have never gotten that aftertaste again for a couple of decades. Still, dry garlic gives me an off-flavor.

Last edited:
The only thing I can think of is when I was a teenager and my stepmother made hamburgers by mixing in Lipton Onion Soup Mix. I burped that crap for three days lol

GG, LOL... I don't even let those envelopes in the house! :ROFLMAO:

I hear you and GG but... after 65 years I still get the onion dip craving and just have to mix some with sour cream, to satisfy that craving. :LOL:

I think I'm the only one in the family who still eats it. :ermm:

Ross

I recently cleaned out the pantry and found a stash of pouches of soup mixes, and gravy mixes, and fajita seasonings.

No one is owning up to it, but both my wife and son were checking their shoes, shuffling around sheepishly a bit.

I hear you and GG but... after 65 years I still get the onion dip craving and just have to mix some with sour cream, to satisfy that craving. [emoji38]

Ross
When I get that craving, I go all out and get some Lay's French Onion Dip and Ruffles. Instant gratification [emoji39]

I hear you and GG but... after 65 years I still get the onion dip craving and just have to mix some with sour cream, to satisfy that craving. :LOL:

Ross

When I or the hubster get an onion dip craving, I (or he) mix some cream cheese with some sour cream or yogourt until I have the consistency I want. Then I add onion powder, dried onion pieces, and a bit of fish sauce. If necessary, I'll stir in some cream or milk to get the consistency I want. After about 15 minutes or so, the onion is rehydrated and the dip is ready to use.

Whoa! :LOL: I can run to the store and buy a container of Philly already flavoured, or a hummus flavoured (if I want to be healthy-ier) within that time frame!

And have it devoured before you even open the chips! :ROFLMAO:

Flavoured chips are just not my thing. BBQ, Sour Cr & Ch, any of those - blech!:glare:

Speaking of which, has anyone tried making their own potato chips in the microwave?

For this you really do need the mandolin, super, super thin slices. Pat dry. pllace on a plate with a piece of perforated parchment paper. Spritz with oil, sprinkle with salt. Zap at 100% for 6+ min. (approx micro's diff). Watch them, they could take longer.

Just neat, a novel thing to do. I'm guessing now with Air Fryers ....

When I get that craving, I go all out and get some Lay's French Onion Dip and Ruffles. Instant gratification [emoji39]

I've seen those but have never bought one.
The only canned/jarred dip I pick up, on occasion, is the Fritos Bean dip.

I must try the FO dip, one day. :)

Ross

When I or the hubster get an onion dip craving, I (or he) mix some cream cheese with some sour cream or yogourt until I have the consistency I want. Then I add onion powder, dried onion pieces, and a bit of fish sauce. If necessary, I'll stir in some cream or milk to get the consistency I want. After about 15 minutes or so, the onion is rehydrated and the dip is ready to use.

I'm sorry. That is just too much darn work.
Do you think this is a cooking forum or something? :ermm: :ROFLMAO:

Ross

Speaking of which, has anyone tried making their own potato chips in the microwave?

For this you really do need the mandolin, super, super thin slices. Pat dry. pllace on a plate with a piece of perforated parchment paper. Spritz with oil, sprinkle with salt. Zap at 100% for 6+ min. (approx micro's diff). Watch them, they could take longer.

Just neat, a novel thing to do. I'm guessing now with Air Fryers ....

No mandolin so I have not done potato chips but, I often make tortilla chips and just once, made salami chips.

Followed my fave bloggers recipe for the salami chips and it was a disaster.. :ermm:

Ross

Garlic can do it.

There's a group of 3 family style Italuan American restaurants on Long Island, NY called La Parma.

They are famous for serving dishes with so much garlic that the smell of it oozes out of your skin for days afterwards.
And it's never the good smells.

It's bum smell, or the smell after a stranger burps in your face, or the smell of someone's funky house you worked in.

I went into one house and my skin smelled like poo funk for days. Even multiple showers wouldn't get rid of it.

I have cooked on my smoker and that smell sits in my hair for like a week. But it smells yummy.

Back
Top Bottom