Appetizer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

betterthanabox

Senior Cook
Hey guys I am planning on doing a new take on an old favorite. I have been making salmon pinwheels (smoked salmon with cream cheese, rolled up and sliced, served on melba toast.) for years, and I love them, but I am ready for a change.

I have been thinking about this- taking either pumpernickel or bagel crisps and topping with a bit of piped cream cheese and then topping that with a piece of smoked salmon. I think that it would taste more like salmon that way, and less like cream cheese.

The question I have is how should I flavor the cream cheese. Dill, chives, any other ideas? I was thinking of whipping some cream cheese with chives but that sounds kinda lame, and just like the old standby.

Capers work well with your ingredients, chop up a few and combine them with the cream cheese. A little cracked pepper is also an asset.

Capers work well with your ingredients, chop up a few and combine them with the cream cheese. A little cracked pepper is also an asset.

That's what I was going to say. A bit of thinly sliced red onion is good too.

I like Robo's idea of mixing some
sour cream in with the cream cheese.
Or maybe even Greek Yogurt.

Here are some ideas of what to add
into the creamcheese/sourcream/yogurt:

1. Lemon and fresh Herbs
2. Jalapeno Pepper Jelly (I have no idea why I thought of that lol)
3. Aioli Sauce with MSC's Capers, and taxlady's thinly sliced Red Onions
4. A bit of Lemon Curd and topped with a Mint Leaf (I must be in some kind of bizarre mood lol)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom