Are there any limits to the number of ways to make a good gilled cheese sandwich?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

caseydog

Master Chef
Being National Grilled Cheese Day, it came to my scattered mind that I have seen countless grilled cheese sandwiches videos, made every imaginable way, and want to try almost all of them. Of course, my arteries tell me I should not actually try them all.

So, is the grilled cheese sandwich the creative cook's perfect canvas?

Here are a few samples...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwjdXBxeWsc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZOgBrgzQ2A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlTCkNkfmRY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaTdfAR_0fk&t=295s

Your thoughts, please...

CD

Last edited:
No, there are no limits. Also, your doctor should have told you that the fat you eat has very little to do with the plaques in your arteries.

After melting the butter in the pan, I sprinkle it with Penzeys Sandwich Sprinkle, so the outside of the bread is seasoned. I like a combination of extra sharp cheddar and Havarti cheeses and a schmear of homemade whole-grain Dijon-style mustard on one side of the bread for a little tang. Good stuff :yum:

I like the crown of of sizzled cheese Jamie made.

Last edited:
It's 430 am my time. (Yes, I got a whole night's sleep but I may not be fully awake..) I could (but won't) raid the refrigerator and make a grilled cheese. Too early for breakfast.

I have sprinkled grated parm on the outside of the bread before grilling.
I like ham in my grilled cheese. or bacon
I've read one can use mayo instead of butter, but why?
I've made grilled cheese fingers for dipping in tomato soup. I prefer my sandwich alongside the soup.
I've made grilled cheese "croutons" as a soup garnish. Silly, and soggy too soon.
I cut off the crusts before grilling for the grand kids and cut in triangles. I notice their parents leave the crusts on and the kids eat 'em. 1/2 sammie each.
Velveeta makes an acceptable grilled cheese, Kraft singles do not. IMHO
Cheddar and pepperjack is my go-to grilled cheese.

I had a surprise with a grilled cheese that I bit into and had jam in it! Not bad but not my preference.

Once in a while I do a sandwich with sliced Granny Smith and a swiss cheese of some sort.

Although Velveeta is good for making Mac n Cheese, it's a pain to do a sandwich - I like Kraft singles for grilled cheese, it's about the only thing they're good for LOL. Oh wait, they're also good to for stuffing in celery, do a roll-up wrap with ham and a few other things for the kids.

Thinly sliced sweet onion with bacon is my preferred choice. You cook the bacon and then use the same pan to do the sandwich.

Grilled Cheese Sandwich Contest, deadline May 15, 2018
Here: Grilled Cheese Academy - Recipe Contest
cat-open-hero.jpg

Recipes from previous contests: Grilled Cheese Academy - Recipes with 155 recipes.

I saw a thing on the news yesterday about this. While sandwiches are known to have been only around for 150 years or so, eating bread and cheese goes back millenia.

This was one of the first things I taught my boy how to cook, then he decided to make his own version (because all of the cooking shows we watch say you have to be original, smh).

I taught him the basic butter, white bread, and cheese, but then he added powdered garlic and paprika. It's actually really good.

Last edited:
I recall a lengthy discussion we had some time ago about grilled cheese sandwiches. People get really carried away trying to outdo each other.

IMHO, any grilled sandwich that just so happens to have cheese in it is NOT a grilled cheese sandwich. Bread with cheese as the main ingredient and some garnishes.

Absolutely spot on Andy. Anything else too elaborate becomes a Panini or some other name. The star of the show is the melting cheese, the greasy fingers toasted bread and one or two garnishes that do not overpower.

At a local Irish Pub, I recently had the best grilled cheese I've ever eaten in my life .. messy to be sure!

Grown-up’s Grilled Cheese
Sharp cheddar and smoked Gouda on garlic Parmesan crusted sourdough bread with bacon and sliced grilled tomato.

I am with Andy, though I don't add any garnishes. Just cheese, bread and enough butter on the outside to grill it to golden perfection!

I switched to a mayo schmear instead of butter a couple of years ago. We like it better that way, and I've noticed less chance of the bread getting too dark if I look away. I have a knack for "extra toasted" sometimes. :ermm: :LOL:

For me, there are standard grilled cheese sammies and fancy ones. The standard would be cheese plus one - tomato or bread-and-butter pickles or bacon. Start adding more than that, it's fancy. Kind of like what the local Cleveland chain, Melt Bar and Grilled, has built a little empire on. Not your typical grilled cheese, but interesting on occasion.

Thinly sliced ripe tomato makes the grilled cheese pop!

+1! I love tomato on grilled cheese. And IMO, the tomato needs to be in between two slices of cheese, to anchor it into the sandwich. No bueno when one slice of the bread slides off...:ermm::LOL:

As Kay mentioned - sourdough (or French), I'd rather not even make a grilled cheese unless I have either of those breads. My usual whole wheat for cold sandwiches just isn't the same for a GCS. And YES on the cheddar and smoked gouda! YUM....

GG....I'm addicted to Penzey's Sandwich Sprinkle on grilled cheese, since the first time I tried it. :yum:

Growing up, mom used deli American cheese on plain white bread. No "cheese food" or "cheese product."

Now, I prefer to play around with different cheeses, and use a more robust bread. I like a good crunch on my GCS.

CD

I was reading this thread to my son and he corrected my thoughts on his garlic grilled cheese and asked me to post this.

He butters one side each of two slices of thickly sliced white bread well, then sprinkles the buttered sides with a good pinch of garlic powder and just a little dried parsley. The other sides of the bread is left dry.

The buttered/garlic sides are placed down in a hot frying pan, then a heap of grated sharp cheddar, jack, colby, and mozzarella cheeses are placed on one slice.

The uncheesed slice is flipped over on top of the cheese, then the sandwich is weighted down for a minute or two, then flipped over and weighted down again until the cheese inside is fully melted.

I've had it many times and it's really good. Instead of garlic bread with cheese, this is cheesey bread with garlic.

I usually stick with a couple slices of white American cheese, good bread, and butter.

If I want to kick it up a little I add a liberal shake of red pepper flakes, hot sauce or cayenne to the cheese before I put the top on it.

I also like a side of salsa for dipping if I'm not having cream of tomato soup.

Homemade pimento cheese.:yum:

My wife loved pimento cheese. We're divorced. :ohmy::LOL:

Okay, seriously, pimento cheese is a serious Southern staple, but I just never developed a taste for it -- homemade or out of a plastic tub.

CD

Back
Top Bottom