Bacterial Growth in foods

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alix

Everymom
Moderator Emeritus
OK, what I am looking for is a link that I saw some time ago about cooking poultry from the frozen state and why that is bad. Jennyema...was that your post?

I think there can be lots of other discussion about practices that could be questionable. I have noticed a lot of chat about this in other areas of the board.

Anyone have any other questions about practices that might be unsafe?

Alix, I just read that thread about ten minutes ago and now I can't find it! :rolleyes: I know that food safety regulations and practices are in place for a good reason but I wonder if the recommendations are overkill. We've had guys from Mexico, El Salvador and Guatemala working at the course and they never put their lunches in the fridge, they just sit out on the table and nobody ever got sick. Good question.

HMmmmmmmmmmmmm.... I don't remember if I posted about it before.

But, having looked it up .... the USDA says "Do not cook frozen chicken in the microwave or in a slow cooker. However, chicken can be cooked from the frozen state in the oven or on the stove. The cooking time may be about 50% longer."

The USDA assumes that your oven temp is at 350. Cooking frozen chicken in a slow cooker or at low temp is def. a no no as the chicken will be in "no man's land" (between 40 and 140) for too long and the bacteria will rapidly multiply.

This is a great article on chicken from the USDA.

Thanks Jennyema. I'll go read through it.

DampCharcoal! Good to see you buddy! If you manage to find that thread can you post me a link? Pretty please? I know I read it here recently too and darned if I can remember where!

Hello, I'm new to the forums. :)

Anyways, does this apply to steak also? I know chicken is more touchy but it's still raw meat. I had some steak defrosting in the fridge for about a day and a half and I couldn't wait anylonger. The outside seemed thawed but when I put a fork in it, I could hear sort of a frozen sound (it was not solid though). When I cooked it (on a cast iron stovetop grill), I did my normal routine but when I checked the internal temp. it was at 80. I kinda scratched my head and figured I would throw it in the oven at 350. I let cook in there for like 10 min. until I thought it was done but then I gave up on it and ordered food. Did I waste this or was it still good to eat? If I wasted it, then its a little disappointing but at the same time I would rather be safe than sorry.

chef_biz said:
...I kinda scratched my head and figured I would throw it in the oven at 350. I let cook in there for like 10 min. until I thought it was done but then I gave up on it and ordered food. ...

What did you do with it after putting it in the oven for 10 minutes??

On what Damp said about knowing people who don't put their lunch in the fridge and never get sick...I wonder if people are just used to it so their body doesn't react violently towards the food. Just like when you go travel places that are 3rd world countries, they don't have the same food regulations and thoughts on sanitation as in the West, but yet they don't get sick on the foods.

Andy M. said:
What did you do with it after putting it in the oven for 10 minutes??

I turned the oven off and they sat there for about 5-10 min. maybe, then I put them in a container and put them in the fridge just incase they were still good. They were still hot when I pulled them out of the oven. I checked the temp. when I pulled them out of the oven and it was around 140 but they might have cooled down some by the time I measured them.

chef_biz said:
Anyways, does this apply to steak also?

When I have to roast meat that still has frost in it (usually a leg or shank of lamb, but have done it successfully with pork too), I put it in a cold oven and let it heat up with the oven. By the time the oven is hot, the meat is mostly thawed. Then I roast it for the usual time (measuring only from the time the oven is completely hot), and eat it. I have never got sick from food cooked this way, but then I never keep any leftovers when I do this.

Re: never getting sick on stuff that is supposed to make you ill -

my best childhood friend's mom always kept mayo in the cupboatd. Friend and four siblings are still alive to tell the tale.

i don't think i've ever gotten food poisoning, and i've eaten some questionable raw and otherwise dodgy stuff.
there's something to be said for the way you were raised. my mom frequently would put raw eggs in chocolate milk on cold winter mornings when i was young. it was a norwegian thing. (or maybe she just watched "rocky" too much)
either way, i've never gotten sick from bad food, and my coat is quite shiny...

buckytom said:
...my mom frequently would put raw eggs in chocolate milk on cold winter mornings when i was young...

My breakfast was often "eggnog" a raw egg in a glass of milk with sugar and cinnamon. Often not stirred nearly enough to incorporate the egg...:sick:

Andy M. said:
My breakfast was often "eggnog" a raw egg in a glass of milk with sugar and cinnamon. Often not stirred nearly enough to incorporate the egg...:sick:

here's another one for you, Andy. Plop a raw egg in the blender with a cup of milk. Add a capful of vanilla and about a teaspoon of sugar. Blend up and knock it back. Deelish, and apparently not fatal.

Back
Top Bottom