"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-16-2009, 12:59 PM   #1
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Norway
Posts: 123
Baked or roasted?

I am a bit confused about english term roasted and baked.

Here in norway the oven has:
Grill
Grill + over heat
Over/under heat (thats what we normally use)
Fan (that cirkel the air in the oven so I can make cakes at to levels)
Fan + under heat (good for pizza..)

When I was on holiday in FL we rented a small apartment with kitchen. It seemed like the oven only had under heat and grill. It also had a broiler pan. We dont use that in norway.

But anyway.

What is the difference between baked and roasted meat?
Is it with over/under heat or only under heat?

Broiled meat, is that with the grill on a broiler pan? Is there not any other heat, only the broiler?
It is not normal to broil food here so I am very curios how that works!

Thanks for any answers!

__________________
Girl from Norway thats love to cook.
I have IBS/IBD and is following SCD diet
www.scdandme.com
kamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 01:04 PM   #2
Mr. Greenjeans
 
bigdaddy3k's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chicago Area
Posts: 1,741
Baked is where the heating is even all the way around the item being baked.

Roasted or broiled is where the heat comes from a single source and is directed at one side of the item at a time.
__________________
No matter how many Bibles he swears on, when a dog tells you he's a vegetarian, he's lying.
bigdaddy3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 01:05 PM   #3
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Norway
Posts: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddy3k View Post
Baked is where the heating is even all the way around the item being baked.

Roasted or broiled is where the heat comes from a single source and is directed at one side of the item at a time.
So if it is roasted the heat will come from under the meat? And broiled is over?
__________________
Girl from Norway thats love to cook.
I have IBS/IBD and is following SCD diet
www.scdandme.com
kamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 01:16 PM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 46,766
The majority of ovens in the US have two heat sources. One at the top of the oven which is used for broiling. That is cooking the top surface of a piece of meat with direct heat. This often requires you to turn the food over to cook the second side. Think of this as an upside down charcoal grill. Broiling is used for smaller pieces of meat, poultry and fish. Such as steaks hamburgers, etc.

The second heat source is at the bottom of the oven either under the oven floor in the case of gas or just above it for electric. The bottom heat source is used for baking and roasting. Baking and roasting are essentially the same - dry indirect heat that heats the air surrounding the meat in a low sided pan.

Baking is more often used to describe things like breads and cakes while roasting is used to describe meats.

However, in the case of chicken, cooking a whole chicken is commonly referred to as roast chicken. If you cut had that same chicken into pieces and cooked them using the same heat source, it's referred to as baked chicken. Go figure.

A small fan that circulates the air in the oven makes baking/roasting more efficient by constantly moving the air around so hot air is always on the move and in contact with the food.
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 01:40 PM   #5
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Norway
Posts: 123
Thank you so much for answer :)

Now I understand a bit more!

I have been very confused about this. I normally use over and under heat (but not the broiler).
__________________
Girl from Norway thats love to cook.
I have IBS/IBD and is following SCD diet
www.scdandme.com
kamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 02:29 PM   #6
Head Chef
 
Scotch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: California
Posts: 1,041
I don't think there's any real difference between "bake" and "roast." Both refer to cooking by dry heat.

As Andy said, "bake" usually refers to breads, cakes, cookies, and so forth, cooked in an oven, but it can also refer to meats (for example, "baked chicken" or "baked fish," which are usually cooked in a sauce of some sort).

"Roast" usually refers to meats, poultry, or fish ("roast beef" or "roast chicken") that are cooked in the oven without a sauce.

At least that's how I've come to understand the terms. There may be regional differences in how these words are understood.
__________________
Doug Collins
Scotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 04:46 PM   #7
Senior Cook
 
Arky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 299
My understanding, after consulting some of my old time recipe books goes something like this:

To bake means oven cooking or cooking in coals using some sort of a baking dish or container as in casseroles, cakes, pies, souffles, Dutch Oven, etc.

To roast primarily refers to oven or open fire cooking that may include a wire rack, rotisserie, grill or means of support other than a baking dish.

Simplicity. What is the food being cooked in or on?
__________________
Never trust a skinny chef!
Arky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 04:54 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire
 
msmofet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 11,598
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
The majority of ovens in the US have two heat sources. One at the top of the oven which is used for broiling. That is cooking the top surface of a piece of meat with direct heat. This often requires you to turn the food over to cook the second side. Think of this as an upside down charcoal grill. Broiling is used for smaller pieces of meat, poultry and fish. Such as steaks hamburgers, etc.

The second heat source is at the bottom of the oven either under the oven floor in the case of gas or just above it for electric. The bottom heat source is used for baking and roasting. Baking and roasting are essentially the same - dry indirect heat that heats the air surrounding the meat in a low sided pan.

Baking is more often used to describe things like breads and cakes while roasting is used to describe meats.

However, in the case of chicken, cooking a whole chicken is commonly referred to as roast chicken. If you cut had that same chicken into pieces and cooked them using the same heat source, it's referred to as baked chicken. Go figure.

A small fan that circulates the air in the oven makes baking/roasting more efficient by constantly moving the air around so hot air is always on the move and in contact with the food.
absolutely correct. i may just add that an oven with a fan to circulate the heat is called a convection oven and the fan helps cook food faster and more evenly.
__________________
There is freedom within, there is freedom without
Try to catch the deluge in a paper cup
There's a battle ahead, many battles are lost
msmofet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 09:10 PM   #9
Executive Chef
 
RPCookin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Logan County, Colorado
Posts: 2,860
In my Samsung range, roasting uses the top element with the convection fan while baking or convection baking uses the bottom element. I haven't had the range long enough to really try everything out yet, so I can't do more than just repeat what the instruction manual says.
__________________
Rick
RPCookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 09:25 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire
 
msmofet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 11,598
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
In my Samsung range, roasting uses the top element with the convection fan while baking or convection baking uses the bottom element. I haven't had the range long enough to really try everything out yet, so I can't do more than just repeat what the instruction manual says.
is it electric? i have a gas convection and the top of the oven is a broiler with flames not for roasting or baking. my convection uses the heat from under the floor of my oven for convection baking or regular baking and convection roasting or regular roasting. yes i have a choice with both baking or roasting to use the fan or not. there is only hi or low broil and that adjusts the flames on the roof of the oven only. the top won't come on unless broiler is turned on (top and bottom heat sources WILL NOT come on at the same time)
__________________
There is freedom within, there is freedom without
Try to catch the deluge in a paper cup
There's a battle ahead, many battles are lost
msmofet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 12:51 AM   #11
Executive Chef
 
RPCookin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Logan County, Colorado
Posts: 2,860
It is an electric ceramic glasstop range. Although I'd like to have the luxury of a gas cooktop, I don't have the space for separate appliances, and I don't want a gas oven.
__________________
Rick
RPCookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 12:54 AM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire
 
msmofet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 11,598
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
It is an electric ceramic glasstop range. Although I'd like to have the luxury of a gas cooktop, I don't have the space for separate appliances, and I don't want a gas oven.
maybe thats the difference, electric may need to heat from the top AND bottom to get the right temperature. my electric toaster oven coils light up on the top and bottom when i bake in it. i had an electric stove/oven for awhile and HATED it!! i like gas much better for oven and stove top. i think the heat can be controlled better.
__________________
There is freedom within, there is freedom without
Try to catch the deluge in a paper cup
There's a battle ahead, many battles are lost
msmofet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 04:39 AM   #13
Cook
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The world
Posts: 52
the problem is in different country's they use different terms for the same process, thats what is confusing to most people,
__________________
www.bertbakering.blogspot.com
bert bakering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 04:48 AM   #14
Senior Cook
 
Arky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 299
Roasted: Wire rack, grill or spit.

Everything else is baked.

Get it!? - Good!
__________________
Never trust a skinny chef!
Arky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 06:15 AM   #15
Executive Chef
 
RPCookin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Logan County, Colorado
Posts: 2,860
Quote:
Originally Posted by msmofet View Post
maybe thats the difference, electric may need to heat from the top AND bottom to get the right temperature. my electric toaster oven coils light up on the top and bottom when i bake in it. i had an electric stove/oven for awhile and HATED it!! i like gas much better for oven and stove top. i think the heat can be controlled better.
Mine doesn't use both ever according to the instruction manual. It uses the top element plus convection fan for roasting, and the bottom with or without the fan for baking.

And as Arky says, when roasting you should use a rack so that the heat can reach all sides of the meat, and the convection fan aids this process. Roasting is for meats. Baking is for breads, cakes and pastries, some of which can use the convection fan and some of which don't.
__________________
Rick
RPCookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 08:01 AM   #16
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 46,766
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arky View Post
Roasted: Wire rack, grill or spit.

Everything else is baked.

Get it!? - Good!

So if I put a whole chicken in a pan and cook it in the oven it's being baked. If I add a rack to the pan, it's being roasted?
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 08:05 AM   #17
Senior Cook
 
Arky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
So if I put a whole chicken in a pan and cook it in the oven it's being baked. If I add a rack to the pan, it's being roasted?
So, what is it that comes in the bottom of every roasting pan? A wire rack!

What is it called when you cook a chicken in a casserole dish? Baked chicken.
__________________
Never trust a skinny chef!
Arky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 08:15 AM   #18
Mr. Greenjeans
 
bigdaddy3k's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chicago Area
Posts: 1,741
I think I will just get baked. Then you can all roast me.

I was laboring under the impression that roasting required a directed heat source and perhaps a rotiseri. There are cuts of meat called "roasts" but "to roast" was something else.

Either way, i'll eat it.
__________________
No matter how many Bibles he swears on, when a dog tells you he's a vegetarian, he's lying.
bigdaddy3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 08:24 AM   #19
Senior Cook
 
Arky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 299
I recently read that a "roast" is a piece of meat that, because of its size or shape, lends itself to being skewered and then cooked on a spit. (A Middle English term first used between 1250 and 1300 a.d. - sp. Roosten and rosten.))

Now, you can call me anything you like... just don't call me late for supper!
__________________
Never trust a skinny chef!
Arky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 10:51 AM   #20
Head Chef
 
Scotch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: California
Posts: 1,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
In my Samsung range, roasting uses the top element with the convection fan while baking or convection baking uses the bottom element. I haven't had the range long enough to really try everything out yet, so I can't do more than just repeat what the instruction manual says.
That's what my electric GE ovens -- and every oven I've every used for that matter -- calls "broiling."

As for baking or roasting in the oven, only the bottom heating element is used in my ovens.

BTW, I found one site that suggests "roast" means to bake uncovered. Of course, that makes no sense when it comes to cookies and so forth.

I think the terms were invented to confuse foreigners so they won't be able to duplicate our wonderful cuisine.
__________________
Doug Collins
Scotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:41 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.