Baking Powder and Baking Soda

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sattie

Washing Up
What purpose do these ingredients serve and why would you use one or the other or both? Just a question I have that Alton has not dispelled for me yet... or I missed the episode!!! :LOL:

Use what is called for in your recipe--and why wouldn't you. They are both leavening agents that cause "things" to rise, but in different ways and with different ingredients.

Both are leavening agents - and which one you use depends on the acidity of the contents in the recipe. They do the same thing as yeast (produces carbon-dioxide - CO2 - bubbles) but much quicker .... which is why they are used in "quick breads" and cookies, etc., that don't need long proofing periods.​

The 25-cent answer ... baking soda reacts immediately with the acids in the recips (like buttermilk or molasses) and baking powder is a mixture of baking soda plus acidic salts that will create CO2 bubbles when they become wet and are heated.​

The Cook's Thesaurus website has a good explanation on leavening agents you might like to check out for a more indepth explanation.

EDIT NOTE: I spent too long typing ... I like the site Aurora gave ... better explanation than what I found.​

Last edited:
Gretchen said:
Use what is called for in your recipe--and why wouldn't you. They are both leavening agents that cause "things" to rise, but in different ways and with different ingredients.

I was trying to understand better the difference between the two or why you would use both. I love learning and I find there are so many basic things I don't know!!! :blush:

Michael in FtW said:
Both are leavening agents - and which one you use depends on the acidity of the contents in the recipe. They do the same thing as yeast (produces carbon-dioxide - CO2 - bubbles) but much quicker .... which is why they are used in "quick breads" and cookies, etc., that don't need long proofing periods.​

The 25-cent answer ... baking soda reacts immediately with the acids in the recips (like buttermilk or molasses) and baking powder is a mixture of baking soda plus acidic salts that will create CO2 bubbles when they become wet and are heated.​

The Cook's Thesaurus website has a good explanation on leavening agents you might like to check out for a more indepth explanation.​

Appreciate the additional info... I feel kinda stupid now that I could have just googled some of this and found out for myself... a double :blush: :blush: for me!!!

sattie said:
... I feel kinda stupid now that I could have just googled some of this and found out for myself... a double :blush: :blush: for me!!!

Around here, Sattie - the only dumb question is the one not asked! Never feel bad for asking for help!

Sometimes you can Google and get an answer on the first try - sometimes you can spend an hour trying to find the right way to ask the question to find the answer you are looking for.

Back
Top Bottom