Basting oil

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pacanis

Chef Extraordinaire
My sister gave me a bottle of basting oil. It's grapeseed oil, canola oil, various herbs and garlic flavor. The problem is, I really don't baste anything. It says to refrigerate after opening, so there is an apparent shelf life. Can this be cooked with? I'm thinking the herbs would burn if say I used it to sauté some veggies. Maybe it's only good for a slight drizzle at the end.
Any suggestions or insight on this stuff? I never heard of a dedicated basting oil.

Infusing oil with flavor is actually pretty popular Jenny. I'm sure Wegman's took this into account when they put their name on it. Although I would rather it was flavor infused vodka...

I suppose I could strain it Andy, good call.
Or I could add lemon juice to it and use it for grilled veggies.

My guess is my sister couldn't find a use for it either, lol.

I was thinking as a vinegar and oil salad dressing, too. Good suggestion again. I'm just not that familiar with grapeseed oil, other than MsMoffet uses it in her oil mixtures that she cooks with. I have no idea what grapeseed oil tastes like.
Maybe I'll go pick up some romaine to grill today and use it on that. I suppose if I gave it a taste test I would have a better idea what I might want to do with it, lol.

Basting oil is pretty much used for roasting . I wouldn't use it for sauteing may be too oily

You can cook with it. basting oil is good for pan frying fish, meat and veg.
It's got a higher smoking point and it will be fine. The one you have sounds like it would be good for sauteing greens like baby spinach, asparagus tips, cabbage etc.

Back
Top Bottom