BBQ Sauce Suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wannabgourmet

Assistant Cook
Anyone here make their own BBQ sauce? I've been experimenting lately with it but would love some general advice. I use regular Heinz ketchup as the base but would like it to be completely "homemade." The last version used paprika, cinnamon, honey, brown sugar, red wine vinegar, liquid smoke, onions, and a dash of Knob Creek bourbon.

Hi Wanna! Welcome to the neighborhood.
That sounds like an interesting mix of flavors.
I too am in search of that perfect homemade invented
BBQ sauce.
Haven't had much success yet, but every now and then
I give another concoction a whirl.

I started with some recipes I gathered from different places and tweaked one until I got what I like. Most sauces have the same base ingredients with added others and differing amounts.

WBG...Welcome to DC!

I agree with Andy! With so many sauce recipes, look for things they have in common, weed out what you don't like, add things that you do. Another idea, is to start with a commercial bbq sauce that you like, and start tweaking it or trying to duplicate. Personally, I have never been able to make a tomato based sauce that really excites me. Nor have a ever tasted one. Other than a vinegar based sauce/mop for chicken. I eat my bbq meats sans sauce. I usually serve two or three on the side for those who want them. So, Relax!

Have Fun & Enjoy!

Every time I make mine it's different. Sometimes I add different spices or use different sweeteners (molasses, brown sugar, honey). Chopped onions, poblanos, habaneros, garlic.

It always comes out good, better than any commercial style sauce. I dont puree it do give it that homemade feel.

Thanks!

Thanks for the suggestions and welcomes everyone! I added the cinnamon on a whim because I wanted to try and go outside the box a little. I think I've been watching too much Top Chef and Iron Chef. Aside from the flavors, I know I've also gotta work on the consistency. The last batch was very "stick to your ribs," not in a bad way, but I thnk could be more liquid, less gel-like.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom