BBQ Suckling Pig Flavour Tips?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Yanick

Assistant Cook
Hello Everyone!

I just purchased a 35 lb Suckling Pig. I have a custom built rotisserie w/ electric motor, and I need tips!

First things first... Wood... or store bought charcoal.

I plan on using a brine for my pig for about 2 days. Inside the pig I will be stuffing with various ingredients and sewing shut during cooking. Lastly I will prepare a basting sauce.

I have come to you fine chefs and cooks for advice on flavoring!

Please let me know your ideas for brine, stuffing, and basting sauce.

Thanks very kindly!

-Yanick

For brining I'd use plain salty water. I would make sure to season stuffing really well. Basting sause I am not sure about. I'd say some sort of vinegrete bais with the herbs and seasoning you personaly like. For example I add paprika almost everywhere because I like it so much.

With the whole animal you need to make sure that it is seasoned well inside.

Are you from Poland?

I am from Canada.
I figure if I use a salt brine, I would not need to salt the inside of the cavity.
Inside I plan on using apples, onion, garlic, lemon, rosemary, and thyme.

I personally like sage with pork. Citrus is good, too. (not necessarily together)
Here's some links from a simple google search. You might peruse them and get an idea of what you'd like to do. The first link looks pretty good.
roast pig marinade - Google Search
p.s., your idea for the inside sounds really good! Not sure I would do much extra.

I don't know about not salting inside. You need to season it, not salt per se, but definitely season it.

I guess the lemon, rosemary, garlic, thyme, onions, and apples would count as seasoning.

As for wood or store-bought charcoal, well, it depends. If you have a nice selection of wood to choose from, use it. If not, there are some good lump charcoals out there that might do the trick.

For everyone's edification I have removed all the off topic chat to get this thread back on track.

Yanick, I'm sorry your questions got lost as this got sidetracked. I've never done a suckling pig myself but I think you are on the right track with just brining in salt water and stuffing with aromatics. It works with chickens so I think it would work with a pig too. Post back and let us know how it went will you?

yanick, not that it matters much, but are you sure it was a true suckling pig? 35 pounds is fairly large to still be feeding off it's mama.

but, like i said, it would only matter in the sense that the piglet had started to feed off other things and the meat wouldn't be as truely sweet or tender as genuine suckling pigs (less than 6 weeks old and less than 26 pounds). hope you didn't have to pay extra. it'll still be delicious nonetheless.

i've cooked a dozen or so larger whole hogs on a spit/rotisserie over the years, using a mixture of lump hardwood charcoal and charcoal briquettes. the lump for flavour and higher heat, the briquettes for more sustained heat over time. i would go with all lump for a smaller pig if you had to choose one, or go with the mixture as i'd mentioned. also, do not use lighter fluid. always use a starter chimney.

the beasts i've cooked were basted often with a honey, fresh thyme, grapeseed oil, and dijon mustard mixture. it really helps crisp the skin.

if you want to look cool, use a bundle of fresh thyme as the mop.

hth.

I don't know about not salting inside. You need to season it, not salt per se, but definitely season it.

I agree with Charlie..you need to season the inside....Any favorite BBQ dry rub that you like will work...You could just leave the salt out of the rub if over salting is a concern after brining for a long period of time....Additional dry seasoning, including salt (if need) may be added while pulling and/or chopping the meat.... The apples, onion, garlic, lemon, rosemary, and thyme you're using is a nice touch as well...

It's gonna be good! Let us know how it turns out!! Bonus points for a couple of pictures:LOL:

Have Fun & Enjoy!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom