Beef Bourginon advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
GG, I just posted a link in your profile. I didn't want to post it here or we'd get more OT than we already have.

I like to use cros cut shank, that's the part of the leg, chuck or short ribs. I like to have a little bone in the meat becasue it adds good flavor to the stew. Here are some picks.

Hm, how do I add comments to the pictures?

1. Cross cut Shank.
2. Short ribs.
3. Chuck roast.

Those are very good for any stew including the fancy Beef Bourginon

Attachments

• ShankCrossCuts.jpg
    ShankCrossCuts.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 198
  • Short Ribs.jpg
    Short Ribs.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 226
  • PotRoastBnls.jpg
    PotRoastBnls.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 270
Last edited:
I looked in my profile but didn't find your PM.

Probably because you aren't GotGarlic.:rolleyes: But if you want to see the link, find a post by GotGarlic and click on the user name

Last edited:
I just want to say an enormous thank you to you all for posting here. I've actually saved this whole thread into a document and am sending it to my pals too. I've found all the info on meat cuts very informative....

especially to learn that not all beef comes from cows! lol!

I'm looking forward to cooking more with beef...:chef:

The other is that stewing involves meat (and veggies) being fully submerged in a liquid where braising involves the meat to be only partially submerged.

I've just read the same- have been researching online as I'm enjoying this new learning experience!. Stewing involves covering the meat with liquid and using stove top. Braising is more a form of steaming, with little liquid, and done in oven.

I've just read the same- have been researching online as I'm enjoying this new learning experience!. Stewing involves covering the meat with liquid and using stove top. Braising is more a form of steaming, with little liquid, and done in oven.

Either can be done on the stove top or the oven. What goes on inside the pot is the determining factor, not the heat source.

I have made Boeuf Bourguignon using (rump) roast, trimmed & cut into 1-2" pieces in the slow cooker. Comes out great.

I have made Boeuf Bourguignon using (rump) roast, trimmed & cut into 1-2" pieces in the slow cooker. Comes out great.
Do you have a recipe for that that you would be willing to share? That's exactly what I was planning on for Sunday, but I am very new to using a slow cooker.

Do you have a recipe for that that you would be willing to share? That's exactly what I was planning on for Sunday, but I am very new to using a slow cooker.
JC suggests using a 'chuck' (shoulder) and getting the 'tender' end of the muscle.
I've made 'BB' using all sorts of cuts and IMO the very best is the 'tender' part of the 'chuck'. It has just the right ratio of connective tissue to meat so the pieces have a succulent texture and taste I've never had with any other cut. Not too 'fatty' but not too dry.
Rump roast, IMO does not have enough connective tissue (collagen) to make it 'unctuous'. It's from the opposite end of the animal than the 'chuck'. It's dry even when braised for a long time.

JC suggests using a 'chuck' (shoulder) and getting the 'tender' end of the muscle.
I've made 'BB' using all sorts of cuts and IMO the very best is the 'tender' part of the 'chuck'. It has just the right ratio of connective tissue to meat so the pieces have a succulent texture and taste I've never had with any other cut. Not too 'fatty' but not too dry.
Rump roast, IMO does not have enough connective tissue (collagen) to make it 'unctuous'. It's from the opposite end of the animal than the 'chuck'. It's dry even when braised for a long time.
Thanks for the reply. I was getting worried that the rump roast was going to to dry out. In The Way to Cook JC writes to use "stew meat".

Now I'm wondering what to do with that 3 lb chunk of rump roast. It's from a 1/3 of a cow that my MIL gave us. Most of that meat has been less tender than the same cut from the grocery store.

I guess I can make "pounded beef" with some of it and grind the rest.

First, cook a few slices of bacon in a skillet & cut it into 1-2" pieces, and let it drain on paper towels. Trim & cut the meat into about 2" cubes & brown in batches on all sides in a skillet. Use tongs to turn the meat. A fork will puncture the meat & dry out. You can brown your carrots & onions (seasoned w/ s&p) if you like. Add it to the slow cooker along with 10 oz of beef broth & 2 cups of burgundy, a bay leaf, minced garlic, thyme, & tomato paste. Add your mushrooms during the last 45 minutes of cooking. The cooking time depends on your cooker. I check after about 4 hours.

Thanks for the reply. I was getting worried that the rump roast was going to to dry out. In The Way to Cook JC writes to use "stew meat".

Now I'm wondering what to do with that 3 lb chunk of rump roast. It's from a 1/3 of a cow that my MIL gave us. Most of that meat has been less tender than the same cut from the grocery store.

I guess I can make "pounded beef" with some of it and grind the rest.
I'd do a 'low and slow' and long braise with it. Then I'd refrigerate it and slice it very thin and use it to make sandwiches with and/or served with a tasty gravy, mashed potatoes and peas and carrots. Pretend you are eating at a busy 'truck stop'. I really do enjoy that meal at a truck stop. I know this might sound like I'm a snob but round roasts and rump roasts should be used to make ground beef.

Thank you Cerise.

You're welcome. My pleasure. Also, I change it out from time to time. Add some Herbs de Provence if you like, Pinot noir, and/or chestnuts or cubes of butternut squash. It's a departure from the original, but I like to make it my own.

I have only just come across this and I think the first picture posted by Dommi35 is shin of beef. Also the picture posted by charlieD, the cross cut shank, looks like what we call shin or leg in the U.K. It isn't often sold on the bone though.

I always use braising steak for bourgignon.

Back
Top Bottom