Beef Tongue as an Appetizer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeni78

Senior Cook
Going to a friend's b-day and have been tasked with bringing a "substantial" appetizer. This group likes different foods and I have 3 beef tongues in my freezer.

I will need to serve it cold. I am thinking served on baguette with condiments. Was searching threads and found mustard and horse radish for treatments...

Does anyone have other ideas?

Eat anything you want, but make it yourself.

Posting from the app.

Mustard and horseradish sounds good to me.

Another easy one would be chili sauce from a jar or try this easy recipe.

Pantry Chili Sauce
1 one pound can of whole peeled tomatoes. (This is now a 14 ½ ounce can. You can use diced, crushed, stewed etc…)
1/3 cup of vinegar (White or Apple Cider)
1/3 cup of light brown sugar
1/3 cup each of finely diced celery, onion, and green pepper.
½ t each of salt, ginger, cinnamon, allspice.
¼ each of black pepper and ground cloves.
Put tomatoes into a saucepan and break them up if they are whole or in large pieces, add all other ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 30 to 40 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes or so. Using a stick blender or food processor blend until the texture is a coarse puree. Cool and refrigerate. This recipe yields one pint.

You could also get a little fancy with a Cumberland sauce or a horseradish cream sauce. Here are a couple of examples.

Cumberland Sauce | Delia Online

Horseradish Cream Sauce Recipe - Allrecipes.com

Yes! A chili sauce is a great idea! I made tongue with a recipe from Ecuador once that had chills in it and it was very good...

Thoughts on a fruit chutney or is that too old fashioned?

Posting from the app.

Never tried beef tongue, but I tried caribou tongue up in the Arctic once. Once... yuk. It was eating leather... I have heard that beef is better though.

For a cold app, maybe they`d like salmon cakes (bite sized) with a sour cream and mayo (or yogurt), lemon, dill and honey sauce...

RD

I love tongue. It has to be smoked and then simmered. When I lived in the northeast smoked tongue was available in supermarkets. Not so down south. It's one if the things my heart yearns for. It is so tender and has the most wonderful flavor. The mention of it makes me want to buy a smoker.

I've never smoked it but it sounds lovely! My prep is pretty traditional, boiled inside the skin and then cut up.

Posting from the app.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom