Best Before Cookie Dates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cookingodess

Assistant Cook
I am making homemade cookies with NO additives or preservitives. How long would they Last?

Please Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:chef:

I'm not sure what additives or preservatives you are leaving out of your homemade cookies.

How long they last will depend on what kind of cookies you make and how they are stored.

If it's an issue, you can usually freeze extra cookies for later use. We do it every year around holiday time and they defrost quickly.

Fresh baking stales quickly unless frozen. No more than a few days. Either freeze if you want them for later or make a smaller batch. Good luck.

It will depends in the cookie and the ingredients but I keep most of my Christmas cookies around from Mid Dec through New Years. (3 weeks) I keep them covered tightly and in a cool/cold place. If you keep a slice of bread in with them they will not go stale. Change the bread when it dries out.

The bread that Dave suggested definitely works -- I've done it before.

If your cookies have a lot of brown sugar or molasses, they won't dry out very easily, but it's still good to cover them if you can.

If you make a recipe with a low amount of sugar, it can go bad more quickly, too. I used to make these yogurt-oatmeal bars with with only 1/4 cup sugar, and they would start going bad in a couple days if I didn't refrigerate them. Regular chocolate chip cookies, on the other hand, last longer, but they've never stuck around long enough to really test them, haha.

Tim

They last longest in covered cookie tins. If they get a little stale, putting a slice of apple of orange in with them will freshen them up, but take it out before it gets moldy.

Back
Top Bottom