Best Book for 85 year old who wants to try sous vide cooking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

caseydog

Master Chef
My dad mentioned a while back, after looking at my sous vide cooks, that he might need to get one of these cookers for himself. Since my dad can afford to buy anything he wants, buying him an Xmas present is always a PITA. So, I bought him an Anova immersion circulator like mine -- which he said he might want, which is as good as it gets with him.

So, I'm going to have to walk him through the basics, I already know that. But, I want to get him a book with recipes and techniques that he can use to do some exploring on his own.

Any suggestions on books?

CD

You mean a book book... like made out of paper and stuff?

I had this conversation with someone just a couple of days ago. We were discussing how neither of us could remember the last time we bought an old fashioned book.

I know. I'm no help. :LOL:

You mean a book book... like made out of paper and stuff?

I had this conversation with someone just a couple of days ago. We were discussing how neither of us could remember the last time we bought an old fashioned book.

I know. I'm no help. :LOL:

Yeah, pretty much. :LOL:

My parents actually read eBooks on their iPads, but I don't know how to give an eBook to them as a gift -- especially one that they can open on Xmas day.

CD

Sous vide was my obsession two years ago. I bought myself an Anova, and cooked pretty much everything in it. I realized, after hours of waiting for foods to cook, with mixed results, that sous vide is very useful, but limited in its range. It’s easier, faster and gives better results, for example, to dump a pound of shrimp into seasoned boiling water, cover it, take it off the heat and let it sit for 10 minutes, then shock the shrimp in an ice bath. It’s foolproof, you don’t have to mess with temperatures to a half degree, and you don’t need any special and/or expensive equipment. I do use the Anova to make beef Wellington, though. It solves the problem of the pastry and the meat being done at different times; you wrap the sous vide tenderloin in pastry and cook it just long enough to brown the pastry and heat the cooked meat.

All of that said, I never got a book. I researched recipes, times, and temps on the Web. Anova’s website has lots of great recipes, and time and temp charts. They also have an app (of course), that has most of the info that’s on their website. There are also many other websites dedicated to sous vide cooking. If your dad has a tablet or iPad, (even if he’s not great at using it), you could index some of the more informative websites and some recipes for him. I don’t know how his health is, or if he’s used computers a lot; my dad was 89 when he crossed the rainbow bridge, and was using his computer and Kindle Fire until the last day of his life (he did call me every now and then for tech support, though, lol).

Really sorry I can’t recommend any books! Here’s a link,though, to a very informative website with cooking times and temps:
https://www.sousvidesupreme.com/en-us/learn/sousvide_cookingtemperatures.htm

I hope it’ll be of some use to your dad, and you! And try out that beef Wellington! People will be so impressed; you don’t have to tell them how easy it was!

Sous vide was my obsession two years ago. I bought myself an Anova, and cooked pretty much everything in it.

Joel, Yup I am the same way about my pressure cooker, for a while I was just obsessed with the damn thing, and when you have a hammer you like, all your cooking starts to look nail shaped.

Casey, I actually work in a Bookstore, we sell the paper and ink stuff. I have an unusual weekend off, which I was going to spend in the woods, but it snowed and my Beloved Wife has a weird prejudice against snow camping.

So I am thinking of a sous vide book, that totally was on my 'buy this' list for cooking books. I even know where it is on the shelf, but the name escapes me.

And everyone don't buy from Amazon, when you do that God kills a kitten. Serious.

TBS (E-F)

Back
Top Bottom