Best Deep Dish Pizza

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rondo35

Assistant Cook
Just made the best deep dish pizza ever!! I have been working on the recipe for 3 years now. I never tasted anything sooo good!! I would love to share the recipe. Just PM me.

For the pizza dough:
1 package active dry or fresh yeast
1 teaspoon honey
1/2 cup warm water, 105 to 115 degrees F
1/2 cup warm whole milk 105 to 115 degrees F
2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup corn meal
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon sugar
1 tbs extra virgin olive oil

toppings

one large white sweet onion
one med Vidalia onion
3 to 4 cloves garlic or more if you like garlic!!
3 bell peppers, red, yellow, green
red pepper flakes,
sea salt or Kosher
fresh ground black pepper
extra virgin olive oil (cold press) the good stuff!!
1/2 pound fresh Italian sweet sausage (get at Farmers market or Italian market.)
1/2 pound fresh Italian hot sausage
1 pack Crimini mushrooms
bunch fresh parsly flat leaf

cheeses

sliced Provolone
Montary Jack
Mozzarella
Fine ground Pecorino Romano

2 cans San Marazono Italian whole peeled tomatoes with basil.

Large Deep Dish Pizza Pan.

I think thats it for the ingredients?

Seems like a lot of ingredients but needed too get a taste thats out of this world!!

Last edited:
What size is your "large deep dish pizza pan"?

I bought one that I haven't used yet that seems huge to me, but that might just be because I've never made a deep-dish pizza before.

Okay, well now please describe the steps to make the dough, the assembly of the pie, and cooking times/temps.

I've made it in a 12 inch cast iron skillet. What size is your pan?

Thanks!

Lee

I just pulled out my 15.9" jumbo deep pizza pan. I keep looking at your dough recipe and looking at my pan. I'm pretty sure that it will be enough. But I am thinking that I need a higher edge so I may make two batches of dough and use what I need for the pizza and make a dessert pizza with the leftover dough.

This ingredient is pretty unique: 2 cans San Marazono Italian whole peeled tomatoes with basil.

This is the very best pizza recipe that I have seen in a long long time. Thanks for sharing it. I really like the dough recipe too.

I may have to pull the big square pan out for this one....20"x20" ! ! !

rondo35 said:
For the pizza dough:
1 package active dry or fresh yeast
1 teaspoon honey
1/2 cup warm water, 105 to 115 degrees F
1/2 cup warm whole milk 105 to 115 degrees F
2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup corn meal
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon sugar
1 tbs extra virgin olive oil

toppings

one large white sweet onion
one med Vidalia onion
3 to 4 cloves garlic or more if you like garlic!!
3 bell peppers, red, yellow, green
red pepper flakes,
sea salt or Kosher
fresh ground black pepper
extra virgin olive oil (cold press) the good stuff!!
1/2 pound fresh Italian sweet sausage (get at Farmers market or Italian market.)
1/2 pound fresh Italian hot sausage
1 pack Crimini mushrooms
bunch fresh parsly flat leaf

chesses

sliced provolone
Montary Jack
Mozzarella
fine ground Pecorino Romano

2 cans San Marazono Italian whole peeled tomatoes with basil.

Large Deep Dish Pizza Pan.

I think thats it for the ingredients?

Seems like a lot of ingredients but needed too get a taste thats out of this world!!
Looks good. What is your method, time, temp ect. ?

The pan is a jumbo 16" x 2" high Deep Dish Pizza Pan. You can get one at a local Linens and Things or a Bed-Bath-Beyond. When everything cooks together at 375 degrees for about 35 to 45 mins (golden brown on top and bubbling) you get one great combination of flavors!! May cost a little more but worth making once you taste it!! I like to make my dough a day in advance and let it rise about 3 times, 1st at room temp second in frig, and 3rd as your making the toppings, this gives the crust a nice light pastry-like texture which makes the Deep dish pizza different from the rest. Also another tip thats important .Your tomatoes should be seeded and drained of most of thier liquids and put through a strainer/collander, you want them still chunky but not watery or the liquid will seep down into the crust and make it soggy.

Last edited:
rondo35 said:
The pan is a jumbo 16" x 2" high Deep Dish Pizza Pan. You can get one at a local Linens and Things or a Bed-Bath-Beyond. When everything cooks together at 375 degrees for about 35 to 40 mins you get one great combination of flavors!! May cost a little more but worth making once you taste it!!
Do you oil the pan? Stone or cast iron? Do you let your dough rise overnight in the fridge? Please go into detail Rondo.:)

The pan is a metal non-stick type pan that is lightly oiled. After the first rise I put the dough in a zip lock bag sprayed with Pam cooking spray and let it rise overnight.

Thanks for all the info, Rondo. I just got your PMs but it is explained in great detail here. Appreciate your help.

btw, welcome to DC!:)

Rondo, thanks for posting. I have that pan and I'm always looking for a new recipe. Sounds good!

Nice to see you here, Jan!

PJ

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom