Best National Brand Canned Beans?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

puffin3

Senior Cook
I admit to sometimes for lunch just opening a can of beans. I don't heat them. Just into a bowl and add a squeeze of Heinz ketchup and S&P with a piece of toast.
The beans I had today (now) where Stokley's w/tomato sauce.
I certainly have had better.
Do you have a favorite to recommend?
So far the best I've eaten are these:Canned Beans: Bush's Best | Bush’s Beans

S & W, been using them for years and never disappointed. All their beans from Chili Beans to Black Beans, wonderful. Firm and never mushy.

We like Bush's too. B&M is a good brand, or it used to be, haven't had them in awhile.

Stores around here don't carry them anymore, but for baked beans, I really miss Big John's. You got a can of beans and a smaller can of "fixins", which you added when heating them up.:yum: Karen ordered me some awhile back. Might have to order some more.

Thanks for the input.
Bush's seems to be the best. I'll get them next time.

Bush's for sure. B&M are good but not for everyone.I love them but DH doesn't like them at all!

If you can find them Campbell's has a new type out with bacon that are really good too. ?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Discuss Cooking mobile app

Haven't had Campbell's for ages, will have to try the new recipe. They were a mainstay in school cafeterias.

I haven't tried S&W, but they look good too.

Bush's seems to be most popular. I've tried them many times and for us, they are too sweet. S&W Chili beans are one of our favorites. Right mix of savory and light sweetness.
Although, when I was a kid I'd eat a whole can of Campbell's Pork and Beans, I use to love them.

When I was a kid, Campbells sold beans with sliced wieners in them (I call that German/Mexican fusion!) and they also offered barbecue beans with ground beef in them. I do not believe they do that any more.

I used to love VanCamp's as they had a mild, slightly sweet flavor, with a pronounced flavor of pork. The beans taste the same, but the company no longer adds the little piece of pork, and the can is only about 2/3rds full of beans, with the remainder being the bean sauce. I like B&M as they have a good molasses flavor. If you don't like your beans quite so dark, add a bit of brown sugar. They really come alive with brown sugar, a touch of chili powder, and some fried bacon added. They're also great with a good hot dog.

Bush's Brown Sugar, and Bush's Original are both pretty good, but are not as complex, with brown sugar taking center stage. Again, with doctoring, they're pretty good.

With each of these brands, I make enough during a meal so that there will be cold left-overs, for when I get the hankering for some cold beans.

I'm not a huge fan of Campbell's as they have too much tomato in them for my personal taste.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

When we were kids it was always Campbell's pork and beans for day before payday type meals and Grandma Browns for picnics and potlucks.

Grandma Brown's are available in the northeast, I know that Wegman's carries them.

If you see Grandma Brown's give them a try in a casserole with a few additions to make them your own home baked beans or as the base for a quick bean soup.

314rpKBjBFL.jpg

Ah, Van Camp's. Yes, I do remember that little piece of pork. Haven't had those in awhile.

Used to love B&M Baked beans with B&M Brown Bread. Haven't seen either in this area - don't know if they make the canned brown bread any more. (Add: I just Googled it and yes they do still have the brown bread. It's rated 4.6 stars on Amazon, and I'd give it 5 stars myself. I might have to break down and order some.)

Here it's usually the various flavors of Bush's that are most available. We just don't do canned beans much. When I have beans, they're usually in chili or soup or with rice.

According to the Bush's website they produce about 73 varieties of baked beans. Unless they are doubling up in various categories. Latino, Asian baked beans, Limited Editions. Who knew.

We prefer Bush's baked beans.

I too will eat baked beans straight from the can for lunch. I really like to spoon some on a piece of toast too, and top with squiggles of yellow ball park mustard.

When we were kids it was always Campbell's pork and beans for day before payday type meals and Grandma Browns for picnics and potlucks.

Grandma Brown's are available in the northeast, I know that Wegman's carries them.

If you see Grandma Brown's give them a try in a casserole with a few additions to make them your own home baked beans or as the base for a quick bean soup.

314rpKBjBFL.jpg

You can order Grandma Browns' baked beans on line

Bush's seems to be most popular. I've tried them many times and for us, they are too sweet. S&W Chili beans are one of our favorites. Right mix of savory and light sweetness.
Although, when I was a kid I'd eat a whole can of Campbell's Pork and Beans, I use to love them.

Bush's has a gazillion varieties and some aren't sweet at all....

Back
Top Bottom