Best party appetizer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CookLikeJulia

Senior Cook
I will be organizing a welcome party for my brother who will be coming home after 4 years of being away because of work. Would you guys be able to suggest a good party appetizer? Maybe just for less than 100 people. Would appreciate all your responses.

I'm guessing with the number of people you are talking about, it's more likely to be a cocktail party with hors d'oeuvres and not a meal with appetizers.

For an appetizer at a sit-down meal where utensils are available for use, I really like something like a baked goat cheese with crostini. Hot crab spread would be a second choice to spread on toast points or plain crostini. Ceviche is also nice as an appetizer. Samosa can be easy if you use wonton wrappers. Honestly, it would mostly depend on what you are serving for dinner, and the theme of the dinner.

For passed or stationary hors d'oeuvres, at a cocktail party where people don't have a place to sit and use utensils (and dinner won't follow as with appetizers), I like to serve foods that are dough-based (and more filling). Usually, I use puff pastry or phyllo dough for the base, in mini muffin tins or tiny tartlet shell tins. You can fill them with anything from seafood mixes, onions and cheese, chicken salad, etc. I also really like to make-ahead a variety of cocktail breads (I like thinly-sliced french baguette) with various toppings. Because this is an hors d'oeuvre, I make the combinations myself ahead of time, so people are not trying to assemble them without utensils. Some suggestions: lox, cream cheese, capers; crab salad topped with finely diced tomatoes and fresh dill; boursin cheese, basil, tomato; provolone, thinly sliced cucumber, parsley leaf; cream cheese, roasted red pepper, balsamic drizzle. For dessert, I always do a variety of baklava served in a mini muffin paper cup. All of these are, at most, 2-bite, as hors d'oeuvres should be.

The sky's the limit. It just depends on if you are talking about appetizers or hors d'oeuvres. I can't imagine doing a dinner for 100 by myself. I hope you have help! Good luck!

I've always thought that flour tortilla "wraps" made an easy yet fulfilling hors d'oeuvre (thinly sliced variety of deli meats and spiced cream cheese rolled in a flour tortilla, chilled, and then sliced into 2" pieces.)

And I've also liked cubed melon (cantaloupe, honeydew and casaba) served with a fruit dip (mayonnaise mixed with strawberry jam.)

Whatever you decide to do, plan it so that you have no last minute messing around in the kitchen! (No COOKING! ;)) That way, your time can be devoted to your brother! :)

It's not that big of a party, mostly it'll just be our relatives and his friends. We have a lot of relatives since my dad came from a 12-sibling family and my mom is from a 9-sibling family, I have a lot of aunts, uncles and cousins. So, of course I will get some help from them as well.

Actually tortilla is on my list, just wanted to know maybe if there are better appetizers that I could easily make or something..

...i like buying already prepared Tequila Chicken Wings from Sam's ...yummy and easy

...something simple that comes to mind is one I do from memory (not pictured). You can make them ahead and refrigerate and is also healthy: Take a cucumber and score it with the tips of fork tines then slice in thin rounds. On each round spread cream cheese, then a dollup of pesto, and lastly a couple of sundried tomato bits (softened in olive oil...comes in a jar like that). Top with a roasted pine nut or 3. Instead of the two layers of cream cheese and pesto, you can use Boursin cheese. It's colorful, healthy, crunchy, and refreshing.

...if you like seafood, try a seared scallop on top of a parmesan crisp topped with 2 tiny slices red bellpepper criss-crossed. Here's a link for the recipe and a pic:
http://www.merrimentdesign.com/seared-scallop-on-parmesan-crisps-appetizer.php

Attachments

• appetizer scallop on parmesan crisp.jpg
    appetizer scallop on parmesan crisp.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 238
Not sure if there is theme of some sort or not. There are many things that can be done easily for a large group of people. My husband has a large family 70 people or so and in the past here are some things I have made

- Chicken Salad Sandwiches (easy to make)
- Shrimps with cocktail sauce
- You can get some nice sausage cut it into peices and skewer it and serve
- Fruit and Cheese Tray
- Some type of quick bread sliced and served
- Chicken tikka (basically peices of chicken, seasoned with yogurt and indian spices and baked in the oven). You can serve them with skewers
- Dips and Chips (I like mexican stylet and make it with canned black beans, different colored bell pepper, tomatoes, cilantro, lime, cumin etc., I also like hummus with pita chips)
- Pakoras - Look up recipe on the internet, they are like fritters, you can fry them and then keep them warm in the oven
- Take help from stores like costco or sams. They sometimes have good options for appetizers - meatballs is one example. Again easy and you can serve them in a sauce in a crockpot
- Mini eggrolls. I normally make mine with small egg roll wrappers, fill them and then freeze them. I then fry them a few hours before the party and keep them warm in the oven or my warming drawer

apps

I love the list you already have of things you have made before.

Here's my two cents -

At a party I attended this lady had a million apps and she was a chef and a half. However, little hot cherry tomatoes (I forget their actual name, but they are like cherry tomatoes but with a kick of their own) filled with cream cheese was the biggest hit. Simple, cheap and you can make a million of them.

I always love hummus and a simple cracker as well. I find that all people love it and you can twist it to any desired flavor you want.

I think both of those are simple enough to be plentiful and not over the top. I hope they help - I'll keep thinking about it.

Ooooo! I had one that was amazing recently. Cherry tomatoes cut in half, then a smear of guacamole and a 1 cm piece of bacon on top. It was wonderful. I could eat jillions of those.

Ooooo! I had one that was amazing recently. Cherry tomatoes cut in half, then a smear of guacamole and a 1 cm piece of bacon on top. It was wonderful. I could eat jillions of those.

That sounds really good. Yummy hors d'oeuvre, But I''m still not sure if the OP wants appetizers or not.

OP - are you serving dinner as well, or is it just a cocktail party? Do you want appetizers for a meal (where they'll be using utensils) and if so, what is the theme of the meal, or do you want hors d'oeuvres ideas (where they have to eat everything in one or two bites without utensils)?

You can feed an army and not break the bank with an array of different items: chips and a 7 layer taco bean dip (make as spicy as you like; make as home made or semi as you like), a Mediterranean platter with hummus, olives, grape leaves and cubes of feta and pita chips (same here-go as home or semi as you like)...American classics like onion dip, salmon spread, clam dip, chip beef spread, buffalo chicken dip etc. A pot of meatballs, mini franks, and if the dollars permit steamed spiced shrimp. Something for everybody.

I'm assuming you want easy grabs for this crowd. Usually when I feed an army, I go with a nice crudite platter, the usual carrots, celery, ect...and throw in some raw asparagus spears, endive and spears of raw red beets are delicious too. Offer 3 or 4 dips and some sliced baguette.

I am forced to bring the BLT dip to all family functions now. Its pretty trashy sounding, but it is gone so fast you won't believe it! You basically mix 1/2 mayo and 1/2 sour cream, then throw in a bunch of fresh diced tomatoes and hormel bacon bits from the bag. Don't try using fresh bacon bits, it doesn't work...you have to use the pre fab ones! Serve it in a hollowed 1/2 iceburg lettuce head or giant romaine leaf...with pita bread, baquette slices or even pita chips.

My second and even faster disappearing *more trashy* party snack would be the veggie pizza. Its really good....and colorful..and BAD for you....LOL. You get a few things of the pillsbury crescent rolls. Spray a cookie sheet and just unroll them, but don't seperate them. You want to cover the cookie sheet, as if you where making a big pizza crust. Bake this in the oven until its golden and done. Let it cool to room temp. Make a spread of 1 part cream cheese, 1 part sour cream, 1 part ranch dressing. Mix it up and spread it genourosly over your crust. Now you can sprinkle the top with slivered raw veggies. I like carrots, red bell pepper and finely chopped broccolli. You'll want to gently press it down with your hands, so it sticks. You can dust the top with a bit of grated cheddar...then cut it into squares with a pizza cutter.

I am loving this thread....always trying to figure out new partyables!;)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom