Blue Plate Specials

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That list gives me a giggle. Neither my Saami, Swedish farmor nor my Danish mormor ever served me any of the dishes on that list. They might have made, roast beef hash or Split Pea and Sausage Soup. I am 99.99$% certain that they never made any of the other dishes on that list.

That list gives me a giggle. Neither my Saami, Swedish farmor nor my Danish mormor ever served me any of the dishes on that list. They might have made, roast beef hash or Split Pea and Sausage Soup. I am 99.99$% certain that they never made any of the other dishes on that list.

taxy? I'm confused and not understanding what you are saying.

What do menues from typical North American roadside diners' have to do with your European relatives?

taxy? I'm confused and not understanding what you are saying.

What do menues from typical North American roadside diners' have to do with your European relatives?

"You’ll be transported back to your grandmother’s kitchen as you dig into classics like:"
(farmor = father's mother, mormor = mother's mother, it's what I called them)

If you and your family are fans of meringue you might enjoy an old fashioned pumpkin meringue pie. :yum:

https://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/pumpkin-meringue-pie/f4731f14-eff9-4ad9-803c-1c2d244ec837

I love meringue. Others like whipped cream.....so if I make a meringue then....others can give me their meringue in exchange for whipped cream. I may be on to something here! :pig:

This cookbook "The American Table: Classic Comfort Food from Across the Country" by Larry Edwards is available on Amazon in the Kindle for $1.99 today. Here's part of the description:

"All your favorite blue plate specials in one cookbook! Like its people, American food is a melting pot of tastes and textures. Now flavors from every corner of the country are brought together in one soul-satisfying cookbook. Worthy of any diner’s daily special board, these recipes are the real deal: wholesome, filling favorites that will bring the entire family to the table. You’ll be transported back to your grandmother’s kitchen as you dig into classics like:

Chicken Pot Pie
Fried Catfish
Sloppy Joes
Buttermilk Baked Chicken
Chicken Fried Steak
Roast Beef Hash
Sausage Gravy
Firestarter Chili
Split Pea and Sausage Soup
Corn Pudding
Potato Onion Gratin
Spiced Squash
All-American Apple Pie
Depression Cake
Pecan Pie

And many more favorites!
True American food is the result of hearty people, bountiful farms, and innovative spirit. Author Larry Edwards honors that tradition in The American Table as he invites you to pull up a chair and share a story or two. Plan your next family gathering with this collection of quintessential recipes from around the country."

I just bought mine! [emoji16]

I will be looking for this tonight! I love those kinds of dishes! Thank you!

too bad Kindle doesn't give you credit points - GG you'd be a winner with the recommended purchasers you've just created!

Straight to you from the 1950s diner menu, salmon cakes, mashed potatoes, and buttery Brussel sprouts as tonight's blue plate special! I wish I had an ice box pie for dessert!

Attachments

• 2020-10-29 18.26.31.jpg
    2020-10-29 18.26.31.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 93
Love that those plates have dividers... reminds me of the grade school cafeteria. Food never touched other food - which was probably needed as I recall a lot of sloppy menu items. Most despised lunch (for me) and all on the same plate:

Beanie weanies (chopped hot dogs in canned, tepid baked beans)
coleslaw
"nilla" pudding
served with a slice of white bread on top.

I'm rather squeamish over some foods touching another. My mother bought me my first "adult-sized" divider plate thinking it would embarrass me. Not a bit. I was delighted with it. I have a few divider plates and use them with pride. Most of my family and friends think I am "touched" over my desire to keep my foods from running together. However, I have one friend who understands perfectly. We simply know when it is okay to touch and when it is not. Wonderful to meet such a brilliant mind. ;)

Back
Top Bottom