Blue Plate Specials

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kathleen

Cupcake
I have always LOVED diners and most things about them. I don't mean the new-style, thick menu places that serve everything on earth and then some. But the Mom & Pop side stop diner! The ones that have been around for years, and cater to all of the locals. People have standard orders and even might have their own seats.

My grandparents had a road-side diner long ago. My mother used to tease us at dinner saying "It's the blue plate special - No substitutions." (Well....it really was not a tease as there were no substitutions.)

Over the years, I learned that the blue plate special was served on blue plates because blue plates were cheaper to manufacture. Also, this is the beginnings of the divider plate where there was space for the main and two sides. Blue Willow was a common pattern for the blue plate special. Blue Willow was also found in supermarkets, green stamp trading, etc. My grandmother had several pieces because she thought they were pretty.

I found a lady who was getting rid of a bunch of dishes including her Blue Willow collection. She accepted a very low offer for the Blue Willow items, and so now I have some plates for my own Blue Plate Specials! I opted to make some peppers and sides to break in my own blue plates to welcome them into my home!

The new dishes make me smile to use. Does anyone have any recipes or menu suggestions that were true blue plate specials?

Attachments

• 2020-10-19 11.56.41.jpg
    2020-10-19 11.56.41.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 120
These cobalt blue fiesta ware dishes are what I use at home.

Favorite blue plate specials include biscuits and gravy and hot open face sandwiches-- roast beef, turkey with stuffing, hot pork, all with mashed potatoes, gravy and canned green beans. Home made pie is a plus.

Attachments

• fiesta ware.jpg
    fiesta ware.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 118
Love all the Blue Plate Special suggestions/remembrances.

One of the many things I love about Missouri living, is the plethora of small town diners, in all the little places across the state. :yum::)

Everything from fried chicken to fried bologna sandwiches on the special menu.

Ross

Love all the Blue Plate Special suggestions/remembrances.
... snipped ...

Ross

DH and I went on "Our Great Western Adventure" back in the Fall of 2013.
We just love small towns, out of the way places AND diners.

We spent a coupla nights around Elroy Utah, we were headed to Golden Spike NHS, kinda of out of the way, in the middle of no where really :LOL:

But I always do my research and have a list of places to eat.
JC's Country Diner

jcs-country-diner-in-elroy-ut.jpg

Fish was the special that day, not many folks ordered it

jcs-diners-scone.jpg

The specialty of the house, what they called a Scone, more like Fry Bread to me :huh:

When we first walked in, EVERYONE turned around to look at us, I was guessing to see if their friends where going to joining them.
We were told to sit where we liked.
WELLLLLL, we picked the wrong place
:LOL:
The waitress came over, "Hun, could I ask you folks to move over one table? See, this is so-and-so's booth, and he'll be comin' in soon."
:ROFLMAO:
All the Ole' Fellers were at the counter jawin' and drinkin' coffee, one of them on the end turn to us and asked, "Where you folks from?"
Me: Hawaii
Ole' Feller: You're pretty far a field there Missy. How ya likin' it?
Me: Just fine Sir, just fine

our-great-western-adventure-086.jpg

K-Girl... Love it. We have encountered the same, all over Missouri.

Many times we have been told of a diner an hour or two hours away and have set out for breakfast or lunch. Lovely drive and good food with real country folks.

The first time I ever had a coconut cream pie with a meringue, instead of whipped cream, was in such a place. I was in pie heaven. :yum:

Ross

Wish I had some of those plates!!

Meatloaf, mashed and gravy, veggie - spinach, corn or green beans.

I used to love meatloaf with the tomato gravy. But it isn't popular anymore.

Check out Road Food and look for a copy of the original cookbook of the same name.

https://roadfood.com/type/

I've always been partial to hot turkey or roast pork sandwiches with mashed potatoes plenty of generic crater gravy from a can and a side of overcooked carrots or peas.

Save room for the pie!:ermm::ohmy::LOL:

K-Girl... Love it. We have encountered the same, all over Missouri.

Many times we have been told of a diner an hour or two hours away and have set out for breakfast or lunch. Lovely drive and good food with real country folks.

The first time I ever had a coconut cream pie with a meringue, instead of whipped cream, was in such a place. I was in pie heaven. :yum:

Ross

In Sundance Wyoming
our-great-western-adventure-550.jpg
Chocolate-Peanut Butter Pie with Meringue

In Cody Wyoming
our-great-western-adventure-515.jpg
Chocolate Buttermilk Pie

BOTH, I'd never had nor heard of, but delicious
and I have recreated both, sorta, at home :yum:

On that trip, I made sure that we had pie every where we went!
I'm pretty sure we only ate in one place that wasn't a diner-ish,
local joint, Mom & Pop place on the entire 6 weeks road trip!

Wow, thank you all for the suggestions and comments! I may need to make fried chicken or meatloaf soon! Pie is something else that I need to think about! I love meringue pies....or maybe just pies. :yum:

Diners are simply awesome, and I totally understand about having "your" booth. We had a favorite booth at a diner that closed a couple years ago. The hostess was awesome. The waitresses, etc. It was like everyone knew everyone. Such a special place. :heart:

Also thank you for the links! Fun reading!

Wow, thank you all for the suggestions and comments! I may need to make fried chicken or meatloaf soon! Pie is something else that I need to think about! I love meringue pies....or maybe just pies. :yum:

Diners are simply awesome, and I totally understand about having "your" booth. We had a favorite booth at a diner that closed a couple years ago. The hostess was awesome. The waitresses, etc. It was like everyone knew everyone. Such a special place. :heart:

Also thank you for the links! Fun reading!

If you and your family are fans of meringue you might enjoy an old fashioned pumpkin meringue pie. :yum:

https://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/pumpkin-meringue-pie/f4731f14-eff9-4ad9-803c-1c2d244ec837

This cookbook "The American Table: Classic Comfort Food from Across the Country" by Larry Edwards is available on Amazon in the Kindle for $1.99 today. Here's part of the description:

"All your favorite blue plate specials in one cookbook! Like its people, American food is a melting pot of tastes and textures. Now flavors from every corner of the country are brought together in one soul-satisfying cookbook. Worthy of any diner’s daily special board, these recipes are the real deal: wholesome, filling favorites that will bring the entire family to the table. You’ll be transported back to your grandmother’s kitchen as you dig into classics like:

Chicken Pot Pie
Fried Catfish
Sloppy Joes
Buttermilk Baked Chicken
Chicken Fried Steak
Roast Beef Hash
Sausage Gravy
Firestarter Chili
Split Pea and Sausage Soup
Corn Pudding
Potato Onion Gratin
Spiced Squash
All-American Apple Pie
Depression Cake
Pecan Pie

And many more favorites!
True American food is the result of hearty people, bountiful farms, and innovative spirit. Author Larry Edwards honors that tradition in The American Table as he invites you to pull up a chair and share a story or two. Plan your next family gathering with this collection of quintessential recipes from around the country."

I just bought mine! [emoji16]

Don't know how I got my Kindle. It is on my computer, not a separate device.

Think it was free when I purchased a book many many moons ago.

At any rate - it's on my computer now - the book took 5 seconds to download and is ready to read.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom