Boiling an Egg

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, I seriously doubt I've made as many eggs as Kenji, but I seriously think it is... what will work is what you are comfortable with!.

I've had success with many of those methods and I've had failures too, luckily even Kenji admits to that!. Lack of attention, distraction, etc. Not like working in a restaurant kitchen where you (supposedly/in all probability lol) focus on only one thing - or even doing a research project at home/office/test kitchen.

In those circumstances, according to Kenji, you just toss the failure and grab another - or just cook two and hope one comes true. Don't a lot of home cooks wish they could do that! LOL

That intro video is a bit of hype tho... I swear by the spoon method to peel. :D never did try the blow out the hole one! :ROFLMAO: has anybody here?

Cooking may have a scientific ... umm, search for word, base?.. but human nature/fallibility is the wild card that science has to reckon with.

BlueMoods - a chemist/chemical engineer is amongst us!

so what you are saying/implying is that, specifically in my case, when the egg is split on day of cooking and there is no ring... I have stopped the heat process and prevented overcooking.

Whereas when I open the egg the next day it has, not guaranteed but in all probability, continued cooking, ergo the green ring?

am I close?

Here is my method for HARD-boiled eggs. Go to Kroger, buy them boiled and peeled. Done.

I gave up on boiling my own. How can what seems like the easiest thing in the world be such a PITA. I tried every method on the internet, and half the eggs still tore apart in peeling.

I haven't eaten a SOFT-boiled egg in decades, so I have never actually tried to cook one. I don't imagine you can buy those ready made.

CD

That intro video is a bit of hype tho... I swear by the spoon method to peel. :D never did try the blow out the hole one! :ROFLMAO: has anybody here?

Are you talking about blowing a raw egg out? I didn't watch the video and probably never will because the method I use has always worked perfectly for me (not going to try to fix what's not broken). Anyway, I have blown raw eggs out of the shell long ago when I was in an eggshell decorating phase. It's a LOT of work.

Are you talking about blowing a raw egg out? ..... ..... I was in an eggshell decorating phase. It's a LOT of work.

No not a raw egg, but I'm sure we've all done that at one time or another. What I was referring to was a youtube clip where the guy made a small airhole and the other larger one - then blew into the hardboiled egg and out it popped. It was a quite awhile ago and I never tried it. Of course he made it look easy. Kenji's version that he posted was someone blowing, the shell shattering and the egg smacking onto the floor. LOL.

If you want to work extra to empty a shell - try a goose egg! :LOL: you have to drill the holes - with a drill! they are too thick and heavy to just puncture with a needle or pin. My second year with geese, I guess I did more than a dozen. Still have them - want to get back around to practicing carving them. Very difficult to get the edges smooth.

Back
Top Bottom