boiling in water vs steaming?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

3babies

Assistant Cook
I was just reading a recipe in the newspaper and they said to boil the potato in water. I have always used my black and decker steamer to cook veggies. What difference if any does the method make??

The only difference I can think of is that you retain more vitamins when they are steamed vs boiled. Also, (except for potatoes obviously) vegetables retain their color better when steamed.

I agree with Amber. Another thing is the vegetables tend to retain their texture better when steamed. Potatoes also, when I make gnocchi, I found the potatoes work better when they are steamed, as they don't absorb as much water and stay intact, instead of getting too runny...which means need of less flour.

You know, I never thought of steaming potatoes to make gnocchi, that's a very smart idea!!!

I am planning to make gnocchi at the weekend!

Thanks so much...I always worried that vitamins would be lost by boiling the vegetables. I have another recipe for betty crocker potato salad that calls for 1 inch of salted water to steam the potato. It is yum. But other than that recipe I have steamed everything in my black and decker...eggs also... I love getting ideas from all you folk.I am a self taught cook and am always finding out different "stuff". Am still learning to use this forum. I get confused easily with the computer. I work at a college and have a few hours to fool around and amuse myself with it. Might as well get some cooking lessons online.

Water soluable vitamins like Vitamin C and others are lost when you boil vegetables. They dissolve into the cooking water. Some dissolves when steaming, too, but not as much.

I almost always boil my potatoes, but not for gnocchi.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom