Bone Marrow?????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

abjcooking

Head Chef
I just found out that bone marrow exists on menues. What on earth is this? I have only heard of it being in the bones and it's what makes good stocks, but I've never heard of it as an ordering option. Has anyone ever had this?

Sorry I didn't even know which thread to put it in.

i had it in an eastern european restaurant once, spread on toast. it was served along with salted pork fat cubes called salo, and some ice cold vodka. they both were delicious, so long as your heart didn't stop from clogged arteries.

in italian food, the long thin spoon they put on your place setting when you order osso bucco is for scooping out the marrow, considered the best part of the dish.

yup, it was in a ramekin, served like butter, with pumpernickel and rye toasts. the salo was small white cubes, served on a toothpick.

when i was a kid, my mom saved the marrow from large bone-in roasts, sprinkled it with salt, and we ate it the next day with breakfast.

Interesting! Well, if I ever see it served at a restaurant I won't feel as uneducated now. Thanks for explaining.

i've roasted bones and had the marrow on toast cause i read about it in an anthony bourdain book. it was delicious.

It's popular in France to eat marrow bones in stews and to suck the marrow out of the bones.

i've also had marrowbone as a kind of pate on toast in restaurants in Belgium and France.

My dad taught us to only use the very white marrow..He would scoop it out, and take french bread, rub the pan the meat was cooked in to get the juices, then spread the marrow like butter, a sprinkle of salt if needed...Yummy:)

kadesma

I remember scooping the marrow out of the bones on a t-bone when we were little - it was by far my favorite part of the steak!

Back
Top Bottom