Bread Problems: crumbly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JenyferB

Assistant Cook
I have recently found myself with the time to cook, and cooking is something I love to do, particularly baking. I decided to attempt to make wheat bread, with the goal being to use it for sandwich bread. Everything went well; the bread rose in the specified amount of time, the bread had the appropriate texture after the specified amount of kneading. The only mistake I made, as far as I can remember, is that I forgot to let the dough rest after splitting it in half to make two loaves. :ermm: When the bread was finished, it smelled and looked great, if a little shorter than planned. The texture was pleasant, and taste pretty good, however when used on sandwiches, it crumbles as you eat. Is there anything I can do to fix the problem with my next batch? Would letting the dough rest after splitting it help with this problem? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks

If you used all whole wheat flour, that could be the problem. There's not enough gluten formed with WW flour.

I did use whole wheat flour, but I also used all-purpose baking flour. Anything I can do? Knead the dough longer?

I have recently found myself with the time to cook, and cooking is something I love to do, particularly baking. I decided to attempt to make wheat bread, with the goal being to use it for sandwich bread. Everything went well; the bread rose in the specified amount of time, the bread had the appropriate texture after the specified amount of kneading. The only mistake I made, as far as I can remember, is that I forgot to let the dough rest after splitting it in half to make two loaves. :ermm: When the bread was finished, it smelled and looked great, if a little shorter than planned. The texture was pleasant, and taste pretty good, however when used on sandwiches, it crumbles as you eat. Is there anything I can do to fix the problem with my next batch? Would letting the dough rest after splitting it help with this problem? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks

Sounds to me like you didn't let it rest long enough or you over baked it.

Frank 2022

Thanks for the input, I made another try, and sucessfully got the desired bread consistency. I think forgetting to let it rest after splitting it may have been the problem, and I may not have kneaded it long enough. I went by the time stated, rather than the descriptor of the desired dough texture/stiffness/stickeyness. :rolleyes:

It appears you undercook the bread. Remember the bread keeps cooking for a few minutes longer after you take it out of the oven, so don't cut it right away. Let it cool before you cut it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom