Brie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rachel Keeth

Assistant Cook
I'm trying to think of all the different things you can do with brie, what are your ideas? I have had three so far and all of them are for baked brie.

1. Baked brie with puff pastry and sauteed mushrooms
2. Baked brie with puff pastry and baked apples with walnuts
3. baked brie with puff pastry and cranberries (a friend told me they had brie and cranberries before)

All really good ideas! I love brie. Srsly. But I haven't thought outside the box with it really. When we make baguette sandwich we spread it on the bread and add salami, tomato and maybe lettuce or basil.

Again a baked brie, Cut off top after preheating broiler Put brie in baking dish. Sprinkle top with1 cup chopped toasted pecans, then cover top and sides patting gently with 2 cups of brown sugar. Broil on lowest level til sugar bubbles and melts about 3-4 min. Serve immediately with your favorite cracker.
kadesma

Again a baked brie, Cut off top after preheating broiler Put brie in baking dish. Sprinkle top with1 cup chopped toasted pecans, then cover top and sides patting gently with 2 cups of brown sugar. Broil on lowest level til sugar bubbles and melts about 3-4 min. Serve immediately with your favorite cracker.
kadesma

In this case shortbread would be my favorite cracker! :chef: YUM!

Definitely start thinking of it as a "sandwich cheese", even when not quite ripe. Back in NY, there was a local food shop that made a terrific sandwich using sliced still-firm Brie combined with oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, arugula, & sliced smoked turkey on a crusty roll. Delicious!

When we make baguette sandwich we spread it on the bread and add salami, tomato and maybe lettuce or basil.

Yum, That sounds really good! So does the baked brie with pecans and brown sugar!

I love brie, I have always had it baked without any topping except puff pastry and a couple weeks ago I had it for the first time just plain and unbaked. I still liked it a lot, so now I have been trying to think of what else to do with it.

When we make baguette sandwich we spread it on the bread and add salami, tomato and maybe lettuce or basil.

Now you see - & this is just personal opinion - although I ADORE salami (all types), for me salami would just overpower the Brie. I've only liked Brie for poultry-based sandwiches. The somewhat "mushroomy" taste of Brie just seems to complement poultry perfectly.

But again - just personal preference.

BrezyCooking- I have never had salami so I wouldn't know, but poultry sounds as if it would go perfectly with brie!

Wyogal- That sounds really good too! You could probably use other kinds of jam too, maybe raspberry. I have never had duck confit, I wonder if I would like it since I hate meat fats. But it sounds really good!

Merstar- Those recipes look delicious! I love avocados so that makes the sandwich even better! I have considered growing an avocado tree but it would be several years before it might start growing avocados! :(

Well, "duck confit" isn't really "meat fat". It's duck parts - usually the legs & thighs - that have been seasoned, cooked in, & then preserved in their own fat. When you re-cook them (reheat them, really), the fat is drained away, so you're not actually eating any "meat fat". What you end up with is well-seasoned, tender, juicy meat - if it's been prepared right.

The somewhat "mushroomy" taste of Brie just seems to complement poultry perfectly.

Agreed! The salami we use is pretty thin sliced so it doesn't seem too overpowering. My other half made these sandwiches one day and I was just amazed...we were on a day drive in France and the sandwiches didn't make it to lunchtime. ;)

it's funny to assume all salamis are one kind - overpowering.

however, my favourite way of having brie is also baked, much like kads mentioned by just cutting off the top, sprinkling with slivered almonds but only a bit of sugar.

after it just begins to bubble and brown, top with fresh raspberries and plate atop a pool of raspberry preserves in a deep plate, also sprinkled wity toaste almonds..

Try taking the Brie out of the fridge for about 3 hours before you want to serve it. Cover it loosely with waxed paper while it sits waiting. Serve it with wedges of fresh fruit -- this time of year nectarines and peaches are great. The brie gets so runny and gooey and is so much better than when it's firm, and you don't need to heat up the house at all! :chef:

it's funny to assume all salamis are one kind - overpowering.
It "might" be funny if that's what I said, but I didn't say that "all salamis are overpowering".

I said that I felt - & I DID SAY that it was simply my personal opinion - that salami was too overpowering a meat choice for brie. I fully realize that there are hundreds, if not more, of different salamis in all ranges of flavors & spiciness.

Did you actually read my post, or are you just trying to pick a fight as usual?

Try taking the Brie out of the fridge for about 3 hours before you want to serve it. Cover it loosely with waxed paper while it sits waiting. Serve it with wedges of fresh fruit -- this time of year nectarines and peaches are great. The brie gets so runny and gooey and is so much better than when it's firm, and you don't need to heat up the house at all! :chef:

That is how I had it a few weeks ago! It was served with grapes and crackers. It was great that way. :)

All those ideas sound great!

Yup - perfect way to enjoy it. In fact, if I have Brie in the house, on the weekends when hubby is home I'll take it out late morning & just leave it on a platter on the counter along with some crackers for impromptu snacking during the day.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom