Bringing home wrong or weird items

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Spicy soup..Jamaican.. good for a quick snack with grilled cheese...

Attachments

• 534fb560-49de-4228-bb50-d4b96a2b1f17_1.2975918263701ecf61c1bf0e00bfeab7.jpeg
    534fb560-49de-4228-bb50-d4b96a2b1f17_1.2975918263701ecf61c1bf0e00bfeab7.jpeg
    43.5 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:
The goofiest thing I keep wanting to try in our Asian markets is the freeze dried tiny crabs. Just can't pull the trigger. I suppose they would be like tiny crab flavored crackers.

I don't muck up my ingredients, however my wife and son are shockers. Wife went to get eggs for a bacon and egg pie, I normally get these as I buy free range from a guy I know. But this was for a picnic. So we had none so I did her a wee list of about 6 things. While out we swung by out local store and she went in to get stuff.
We get home later and I go to make the pie, no eggs, ask wife where they were, oh, I forgot them. She went out and got them. Our son was the same as a kid. I would send him to the shops to get milk and a tin of beans, he'd come home with coke and a lettuce. In the end I couldn't send him for anything. We still laugh about it now.

Russ

I don't muck up my ingredients, however my wife and son are shockers. Wife went to get eggs for a bacon and egg pie, I normally get these as I buy free range from a guy I know. But this was for a picnic. So we had none so I did her a wee list of about 6 things. While out we swung by out local store and she went in to get stuff.
We get home later and I go to make the pie, no eggs, ask wife where they were, oh, I forgot them. She went out and got them. Our son was the same as a kid. I would send him to the shops to get milk and a tin of beans, he'd come home with coke and a lettuce. In the end I couldn't send him for anything. We still laugh about it now.

Russ

That's kids for ya. But then I've been known to forget things at the store, even if they were on my list :neutral:

I've been out to a store three times now specifically to get a birthday card. Got home today and I forgot it again. *facepalm*

I've been out to a store three times now specifically to get a birthday card. Got home today and I forgot it again. *facepalm*

I do that too. I even forget stuff I have written down.

At work on the corkboard by my desk, I have a little cartoon cutout of a woman who is saying "I've expanded my skills. I can now forget what I'm doing while I'm actually doing it."

:LOL:

My problem is the produce section. I take one half of the store, Aisles 1 through 11 and Spike covers the other half where all the produce is. I never forget to write down onions, celery and potatoes. But one of the foods I love is a tomato sandwich with mayo and lettuce. I ALWAYS forget to write them down for him. I have to remember to put down tangerines. Those are so easy to peel and eat. I can go through a whole bag all by my lone. I might let Pirate have one. If he is lucky.

Bless his English heart. He now knows to get four tomatoes on the vine and a head of lettuce even if I forget to write it down. He is also in charge of buying my meats. All sausages for some strange reason are on the very top shelf. The one place I can't reach. He really knows how shop for meats and what I can and will cook. Right now it is the cheapest cut of beef he can find for beef stew.

Maybe it is because I have been incapacitated for so long, but I find shopping for food exhausting. The couple of times I sent Pirate with Spike was a disaster. Spike's instructions to me, "Don't you ever send Pirate with me AGAIN." He has no idea how to shop for bargains. He sees a food and decides he wants to make it himself. Then it never gets cooked because it is usually a food I am allergic to or simply do not like.

The next shopping trip is coming up on the fifth of March. Pirate can sit at home and wait for the groceries to arrive and put them away. I will do the meats. I do wrap them in individual servings. I can only eat one chicken leg or thigh per meal.

I do feel for you, sending others to do the shopping. I was never comfortable with that, but sometimes I would have to send my SO off to do it for me, if I was working late or had something else to do, etc. And he was an impulse buyer. He'd come home with bags full of a bunch of stuff that wasn't on my list and I'd ask him what this and that was for and he would say he was going to make specific meals out of them or either give me reasons why we just have to have some of the items in the house and the meals never came and many of the items he never ate/used; they just sat on the shelves forever or was thrown away.

He had great ideas, but none of them ever panned out.

I do feel for you, sending others to do the shopping. I was never comfortable with that, but sometimes I would have to send my SO off to do it for me, if I was working late or had something else to do, etc. And he was an impulse buyer. He'd come home with bags full of a bunch of stuff that wasn't on my list and I'd ask him what this and that was for and he would say he was going to make specific meals out of them or either give me reasons why we just have to have some of the items in the house and the meals never came and many of the items he never ate/used; they just sat on the shelves forever or was thrown away.

He had great ideas, but none of them ever panned out.

Sounds like my salted cod Pirate JUST HAD TO HAVE. I love it when done right. He is just to lazy to go through all the steps. The box has been sitting in the fridge for almost a year. And it will stay there until it rots or he does. Whichever comes first.

Sounds like my salted cod Pirate JUST HAD TO HAVE. I love it when done right. He is just to lazy to go through all the steps. The box has been sitting in the fridge for almost a year. And it will stay there until it rots or he does. Whichever comes first.

Ugh. I'd just get rid of it.

Yep, the just had to have stuff was a problem at times. But... now I miss it. I miss him. Period.

He was a pretty good cook when he'd actually get into the kitchen and do something with the items he just had to have, but he would make actual meals maybe 2 or 3 times a year. Not a month. A year.

Back
Top Bottom