Brining pork loin?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm hoping for a comment from Craig. Do you add salt to the beer for brining?

Why is salt necessary? I've got high blood pressure, so I'm not anxious to brine. If it's for tenderizing, pineapple juice works very well, as does meat tenderizer, I presume.

I'm not really happy with the tenderness of my pork sirloin shoulder, even though I get it to almost melt, the whiter part of the pork is still not to my liking, tastewise.

Is there a better cut of pork to use that has more of the darker meat?

I'm trying to limit the amount of animal fat in the finished product that I eat, but need more flavor.

I'm hoping for a comment from Craig. Do you add salt to the beer for brining?

Why is salt necessary?...

There has to be a higher concentration of salt in the brine than in the water in the meat cells. Then there is a back and forth exchange of salty water and meat juices in an attempt to equalize the saltiness in the brine and the cells. The saltier liquid in the cells works to slow the loss of moisture from the meat as it cooks so you end up with juicier meat. The salt level is higher after brining. I don't know how much or if it's enough to impact you HBP.

Um, I think I get what you mean, Andy. I guess I'll have to just try it. Unfortunately, the Tyson roast I usually buy includes salt on the ingredients, that makes me think it's already brined, which is why it's so tender.

I guess I'm really looking for more flavor. That might be satisfied with more of the darker pork, but I'm unsure what cut to get.

I suppose I can figure out a way to cut down on the fat, either before or after cooking.

One of the most satisfying pork roasts I've cooked is natural, unsmoked ham. It's very fatty, but I could remove the fat after cooking....

Last edited:
Um, I think I get what you mean, Andy. I guess I'll have to just try it. Unfortunately, the Tyson roast I usually buy includes salt on the ingredients, that makes me think it's already brined, which is why it's so tender.

I guess I'm really looking for more flavor. That might be satisfied with more of the darker pork, but I'm unsure what cut to get.

I suppose I can figure out a way to cut down on the fat, either before or after cooking.

One of the most satisfying pork roasts I've cooked is natural, unsmoked ham. It's very fatty, but I could remove the fat after cooking....

I stopped buying pork loins as they are too dry and I don't always have time to brine. I typically use pork tenderloins, sirloin, country-style ribs and Boston butt.

Thanks, Andy. Dry, that's the word I was looking for. At first I liked the tenderness of the pork sirloin shoulder, but chopped up in my chop suey, even marinated, left something to be desired.

I'll just have to go back the the basic pork roasts, and find one to satisfy my craving for flavor. My chop suey needs it!

Not to keep on the subject of concentration but do you guys use table salt? Any difference for other salts. I also saw mention of adding brown sugar.

Not to keep on the subject of concentration but do you guys use table salt? Any difference for other salts. I also saw mention of adding brown sugar.

Typically, kosher salt is used in brines. The difference is in additives, kosher salt is just sodium chloride, and grain size.

Using volume measures, table salt is 1.5 times as much as Morton's kosher and twice as much as Diamond Crystal Kosher salt.

Just to let y'all know...the pork loin came out INSANELY good. Best I've ever made. I seered it in the cast iron skillet, then cooked it for 6 hours in the crock pot.

Thanks for the advise.

I use Kosher salt in all my cooking but Andy's right about the ratio of it to table salt. I've added an equal amount of brown sugar to the brine, but I'm not sure it makes any difference. It's certainly not needed.
Brineing in beer sounds intriguing .

Last edited:
Brown sugar in brine is used for flavor, not for moisture retention. Personally, I do not find it makes much of a difference so I leave it out, but others swear by it. Try it and see what you think. For a brine all you need is water and salt. Anything else is extra and will vary person to person.

Brown sugar in brine is used for flavor, not for moisture retention. Personally, I do not find it makes much of a difference so I leave it out, but others swear by it. Try it and see what you think. For a brine all you need is water and salt. Anything else is extra and will vary person to person.

Right.

Sugar just makes the brine less overtly salty and more savory tasting . But it isn't necessary.

Did a bunch of searching last night and saw a huge difference in the times that people brine. The range was 1 hour for chicken breast to 24 hours for pork loin. Any rule of thumbs you guys use?

Did a bunch of searching last night and saw a huge difference in the times that people brine. The range was 1 hour for chicken breast to 24 hours for pork loin. Any rule of thumbs you guys use?

I tend to judge brine time by the size and thickness and density of the meat. If you brine a whole pork loin vs cutting it into chops, the brine time is going to be quite a bit less for the chops. Same for whole chicken/turkey vs pieces.

Back
Top Bottom