"Brownulated" Sugar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
All I do is seal it up tight in a ziplock bag with all of the air squeezed out (think rolling the bag like a sushi roll, with just a small part left unsealed for the air to escape). Even here in Colorado with no humidity to speak of, the sugar stays soft for months.

All I do is seal it up tight in a ziplock bag with all of the air squeezed out (think rolling the bag like a sushi roll, with just a small part left unsealed for the air to escape). Even here in Colorado with no humidity to speak of, the sugar stays soft for months.
Some of us don't use it that often, so we need stronger methods.

Some of us don't use it that often, so we need stronger methods.
A one pound bag of brown sugar will last us a year or more. The only time I use any at all is in a couple of my BBQ sauce recipes, and then only a tablespoon or 2 at most for a pint of sauce. My wife is type 2 diabetic so she never uses it for anything unless she making cookies or something for a church dinner or similar. It would be hard to use it much less than we do.

A one pound bag of brown sugar will last us a year or more. The only time I use any at all is in a couple of my BBQ sauce recipes, and then only a tablespoon or 2 at most for a pint of sauce. My wife is type 2 diabetic so she never uses it for anything unless she making cookies or something for a church dinner or similar. It would be hard to use it much less than we do.

If you have excess brown sugar in your lives, mail it to me, and I will quite quickly muffinize it.

No, it doesn't "have" to be, and it's not. I like the flavor of brown sugar, too, but it's not healthy by any means.

No sugar can be described as healthy. Unrefined just happens to be my preference. It isn't messed about as much as refined sugar and don't get me started on "London Demerara Sugar" which is a travesty - ie highly refined white sugar mixed with a little molasses to make it look brown.

I don't use a lot of sugar anyway so I feel perfectly entitled to indulge myself.

Going off at a tangent, if I need white sugar I always buy Tate & Lyle's fairtrade cane sugar but it seems to have vanished off the shelves here and been replaced by T&L's sugar labelled "produced in Britain" or words to that effect, which means it's beet sugar (bleuch!). Not sure what T&L are playing at

Back
Top Bottom