Brunch for 30 this Sunday

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

T-bird

Assistant Cook
I am having my daughter's wedding (Luau) at my home Saturday. That's all a go. But the number coming to the brunch/gift opening Sunday has jumped to 30. I would like to make egg casserole, but can only fit 4 cake pans in oven. Can I put 9 X 13 pans in roaster ovens and cook them there? Or if I doulble recipes and put in deeper roasting pans in oven how would I adjust cooking times. Would they get done in center if deeper? Any other suggestions? Help! Tnx

Personally, I would hesitate to double the recipe for fear of the center not getting cooked all of the way through. With something such as a quiche or egg casserole, could you not make some pie-tin-size in advance, keep them in the refrigerator until serving time and then microwave them just before plating? Making as much in advance as possible might give you the organizational edge that you need when feeding a large group.

BTW: Congratulations, and do try to enjoy yourself - or at least take a deep breath once in a while!

How far ahead can I make them?

Thanks for the advice. I am having this for brunch Sunday, I have the wedding dinner Saturday and the rehearsal dinner Friday night. If I make them early Friday would that be ok? There is no crust. (wheat allergies) I am using hash browns for bottom layer. Would that be ok for 2 days?

I don't know. But if I had to guess: As long as you got the hash browns nice and crispy, they would do better than an ordinary crust, being less likely to get too soggy since the fat would lock out much of the water. If you have time, you might consider baking a trial run today, refrigerate over night and reheat tomorrow morning to find out.

Luau wedding brunch a hit.

Thanks for your advice! Everything worked out beautifully. I prebrowned the sausage and hashbrowns and towards the end of the wedding celebration I put the breakfast casseroles together. I sent some of them home with the grooms mother. She baked them the next morning and brought them over when she came for the brunch. Along with fruit kabobs, coffee cake, fruit smoothies and a few juices I got many complements on the affair. Thanks much!!!

I am having my daughter's wedding (Luau) at my home Saturday. That's all a go. But the number coming to the brunch/gift opening Sunday has jumped to 30. I would like to make egg casserole, but can only fit 4 cake pans in oven. Can I put 9 X 13 pans in roaster ovens and cook them there? Or if I doulble recipes and put in deeper roasting pans in oven how would I adjust cooking times. Would they get done in center if deeper? Any other suggestions? Help! Tnx

Don't double them; because eggs are involved, they won't cook through evenly. Probably the best bet is to just cook them in batches somewhat in advance, then reheat as needed.

this sounded like a situation when Robert Irvine would have saved the day. <evil grin>

I'm so happy it all worked out for you. Personally, if I was challenged with baking space and I was serving one main dish, I'd split the plan into two or more dishes with alternate cooking methods. Keep the ovens, the stoves, and even the grill going so you have something to pour into the heater pans on the buffet line. :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom