Bubble Tea

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kathleen

Cupcake
Has anyone made Bubble Tea? I keep seeing recipes for them, and they have me completely intrigued, but I wonder about how they taste. Any input is appreciated!

This is not my invite nor am I associated, but it breaks down the basics of bubble tea for those who have not seen it. If only I could find a place that sells it pre-made to give it a try.

~Kathleen

BubbleTeaSocial.jpg

Last edited:
We went to a oriental buffet restuarant in Williamsburg, VA and we ordered Bubble tea. IT IS YUMMY!! The tapioca pearls kinda remind me of gummy bears. They had many flavors to choose from.

Last edited:
I was with my daughter at the Grand Asian Market in Cary when she ordered a Green Bubble Tea and insisted that I taste it. Um, I did, and um, it was good I guess but weird. In all fairness...I was leery from the getgo because this asian market was like a cultural shock the moment I walked in. Huge foreign fish are swimming live in a tank way too small for it's population :( and dried shriveled whole animal carcasses hung upside down at the counter where you order food to eat there. The "aroma" in the whole place was just different. But I must say the plethora of choices for exotic produce, etc. was intriguing and kept me entertained while waiting for my daughter.

Oh, back to the tea, it tasted like cold milk, tea, and sugar (which is what it is) with 1/4" tapioca balls that slipped and slid while you were trying to bite into them and then had no flavor after all that. But it was fun to try one time. We also have a new restaurant called "Spring Rolls" at the North Hills Mall in Raleigh that serves Bubble Tea and another little restaurant at UNC Chapel Hill called "Chill Bubble Tea" which also sells a neon purple taro smoothie drink (no, i never tasted that one)

There are loads of Tea Houses here and every one serves bubble tea. Come on up for a visit and I'll take you out for one!

The Bubble tea I had wasn't anything like that!! No milk. I had a green apple bubble tea and it was yummy.

Several places around here sell bubble tea. it's made in a blender with ice (like a smoothie) with assorted flavors and the tapioco balls - which also come in flavors.

For me it's a texture violator and I am not a fan (it's the tapioco) but the flavors are good...

My kid who just spent a year overseas says that in Taiwan, they shake it instead of blenderizing it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSjw5XT7kYI&feature=related

Last edited:
Good grief - tapioca in tea!!! Ever since the Boston Tea Party, you guys have been doing horrid things to tea.
Ducking:LOL::D

theres tons of bubble tea places where i live, its so good!

I think the hardest part is making the tapioca pearls, its either too firm or too soft. I'd rather just go to a local place and buy one for $3-$4

Try a Thai, Korean or Teriyaki restaurant. Our local take out serves this.

Bubble tea can be a tricky drink to make at home, because you need special ingredients and tapioca pearls.
In a cocktail shaker, combine the following:
1 scoop flavor powder
1 scoop powdered dairy creamer
1 scoop sugar syrup
3/4 cup tea, cold
1 cup ice
Shake everything up until the powders are dissolved and well blended.
Pour in a glass over the cooked tapioca pearls.

I'm on a quest over this weekend to find a bubble tea!

For those of you who have had it, do you have flavor suggestions?
Green apple, watermellon and pineaplle were the flavors my girls and I had. I liked the pineapple the least and watermellon the best.

Back
Top Bottom