"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Click Here to Login
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2008, 05:43 PM   #1
Assistant Cook
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 2
Send a message via Yahoo to jdhomer
Question Burned plastic in microwave

Hi-have a question-two days ago-I accidentally hit 10 minutes on high instead of 3 seconds, and burned the little bowls that this dessert was in. Now I cannot get the smell out. I've used ovencleaner microwave cleaners, soap/water, and whatever else I can get my hands on-any suggestions? This microwave is relatively new, and I use it alot for reheating. The smell is running us out of the house-and cannot possibly be healthy...


jdhomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 06:49 PM   #2
Executive Chef
Dina's Avatar
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Mission, Texas
Posts: 2,686
Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
I'd open all windows and give your house some good ventilation.

If you have much, give of your wealth. If you have little, give of your heart. - Arab proverb
Dina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 07:14 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire
Katie H's Avatar
Site Moderator
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Posts: 16,053
First mix some baking soda with some water, doesn't matter what proportions, and microwave on HIGH for about 3 minutes. Leave the container with the hot mixture in the microwave for about 30 minutes. Remove and wipe the inside down and wash the turntable, if there is one, in hot soapy water. That should help a lot.

If the baking soda doesn't work, try the same thing with a mixture of lemon juice and water, about 50/50. See if that helps.

If neither of these work, stuff the whole microwave full of crumpled newspapers, close the door and leave it closed up for about 24 hours. Be sure to lock the power ON switch so no one accidentally "nukes" the newspaper and starts a fire.

These are the only remedies I can offer.
"As a girl I had zero interest in the stove." - Julia Child
This is real inspiration. Look what Julia became!
Katie H is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:49 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.