Burned plastic in microwave

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jdhomer

Assistant Cook
:wacko:Hi-have a question-two days ago-I accidentally hit 10 minutes on high instead of 3 seconds, and burned the little bowls that this dessert was in. Now I cannot get the smell out. I've used ovencleaner microwave cleaners, soap/water, and whatever else I can get my hands on-any suggestions? This microwave is relatively new, and I use it alot for reheating. The smell is running us out of the house-and cannot possibly be healthy...

First mix some baking soda with some water, doesn't matter what proportions, and microwave on HIGH for about 3 minutes. Leave the container with the hot mixture in the microwave for about 30 minutes. Remove and wipe the inside down and wash the turntable, if there is one, in hot soapy water. That should help a lot.

If the baking soda doesn't work, try the same thing with a mixture of lemon juice and water, about 50/50. See if that helps.

If neither of these work, stuff the whole microwave full of crumpled newspapers, close the door and leave it closed up for about 24 hours. Be sure to lock the power ON switch so no one accidentally "nukes" the newspaper and starts a fire.

These are the only remedies I can offer.

Back
Top Bottom