Butter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

goldfinger

Assistant Cook
Hello

I've had many different brands of butter over time but I've never understood why the pats of butter you get in a restaurant taste so much better then the butter you get in stores.

I've tried to find the sweet butter in stores to no avail.

Can someone help explain why.

I've never noticed that about restaurant butters. It could be because they buy a better quality butter than you do. Restaurants often have access to products you don't.

If you have access to fresh cream, or even pasteurized, heavy whipping cream, it's very easy to make your own butter. You simply pour the cream into a mixing bow, and whip wit an electric mixer until the butterfat separates from the milk solids and water (sweet buttermilk). Drain off and keep the buttermilk. It is sweet and good for cooking.You then wash the butter under cold, running water to remove the remaining buttermilk. Mix in a small amount of finely granulated salt for salted butter. Add a little salt and taste it. Add more if needed until you get the flavor you desire. If you don't add the salt, you have unsalted butter, which is great for recipes calling for unsalted butter.

Also, some butter products, especially those from Europe, are cultured, that is, they have a slightly sour flavor. U.S. butters are made from sweet cream. Different brands have different amounts of salt added as well. The Amish Butter brand (not really made by the Amish people, just a brand name) is saltier in my opinion than is Land O Lakes brand. So try different brands that are available in your area. You may find one you like.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind pf the North

Back
Top Bottom