Can I roast some Habaneros indoors?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeekinz

Washing Up
and some anaheim's inside without killing myself? LOL I'm out of charchoal and it's wet outside.:ermm:

Yes, am a chile head in training. Will put hot sauce on almost everything, including salad. Actually, as an aside, a bit of chile stuff goes well with most salads.

We bought this house with a Viking stove and a very strong vent fan (I hate it but that is another story) and would only consider roasting habaneros if the fan was on full blast and the windows were open. And would make sure there were no kids about.

As QSis said the Anaheims, which are fairly mild, will be fine. But the habaneros are a different story.

Habaneros have a lovely flavor and the heat is tamed somewhat by roasting. But be very careful when doing so.

And always wear gloves when dealing with any truly hot pepper. Call Auntdot a wimp if you must but I have seen some very, in retrospect, uproariously funny incidents resulting from the cutting very hot peppers without the gloves.

you can do it in an oven at high temps (425-500) if you dont want to do so on a gas range or BBQ. Its sealed and the high temp should gurantee a quick char of the thin skin for peeling later. it takes longer for peppers in the oven than directly on flames, but still has the same outcome without the fumes.

I would not recommend that Yonsen. Ovens are not sealed. They vent into the room. Not only that, but as soon as you open the oven door all the fumes will pour into the kitchen.

I would not recommend that Yonsen. Ovens are not sealed. They vent into the room. Not only that, but as soon as you open the oven door all the fumes will pour into the kitchen.

no trouble so far, but by all means discard the option if it feels questionable.

--
(edit, condensing space)

In response to the next post down, i forgot some key detail.

Partial thanks to the cool-down fan the oven automatically activates once power to the heating elements has been cut (aka. , the "off" button"). Harmlessly jettisons whatever said irritant matter outside. Sorry birds

Last edited:
I have not tried doing it with habs in my oven, so if you have done it with success Yonsen then I bow to your experience.

Heck, I have to be careful roasting Hab's in the kitchen I work at. Even with a commercial exhaust system, one of the other cooks filled the kitchen with habanero fumes as he was sauteing them months ago. I would be interested in smoking some Hab's, though. Heck, I've got my smoker fired up right now. Maybe I need to make a run to the store????

Last edited:
Yes, am a chile head in training. Will put hot sauce on almost everything, including salad. Actually, as an aside, a bit of chile stuff goes well with most salads.

We bought this house with a Viking stove and a very strong vent fan (I hate it but that is another story) and would only consider roasting habaneros if the fan was on full blast and the windows were open. And would make sure there were no kids about.

As QSis said the Anaheims, which are fairly mild, will be fine. But the habaneros are a different story.

Habaneros have a lovely flavor and the heat is tamed somewhat by roasting. But be very careful when doing so.

And always wear gloves when dealing with any truly hot pepper. Call Auntdot a wimp if you must but I have seen some very, in retrospect, uproariously funny incidents resulting from the cutting very hot peppers without the gloves.

Its not the cutting so much as when the lunkhead rubs their eyes without washing their hands for 10 minutes....

lets just say.. not only can the feel the fire in their eyes, you can see it literally!

Partial thanks to the cool-down fan the oven automatically activates once power to the heating elements has been cut (aka. , the "off" button"). Harmlessly jettisons whatever said irritant matter outside. Sorry birds

Actually, birds are not affected by hot spices. The capsaicin in peppers that fools us into thinking something is hurting us does not affect a bird's nervous system in the same way. We had a Macaw that loved peppers, and anytime I cooked with peppers I would throw the seeds, ribs and stems to our chickens and they went nuts for them.

Unfortunately, it did not lead to spicy eggs.

Actually, birds are not affected by hot spices. The capsaicin in peppers that fools us into thinking something is hurting us does not affect a bird's nervous system in the same way. We had a Macaw that loved peppers, and anytime I cooked with peppers I would throw the seeds, ribs and stems to our chickens and they went nuts for them.

Unfortunately, it did not lead to spicy eggs.

the bird part was a joke. lol.
Thats good to know though :ROFLMAO:

No way! When I was a young Marine I went home with a buddy, his grandmother was from Mexico, she was cooking, not sure if she was roasting or what, some type of hot peper. I didnt last a minute in the kitchen. I literally felt like Id been gased.

Glad I read this thread, I'd have just put them under the broiler like when I do red peppers.
Are the fumes really that bad? It's a pepper! I understand it's a crazy hot pepper..... but really? That bad???
Wow. Something new every day!!!! :)

Glad I read this thread, I'd have just put them under the broiler like when I do red peppers.
Are the fumes really that bad? It's a pepper! I understand it's a crazy hot pepper..... but really? That bad???
Wow. Something new every day!!!! :)

I actually roasted the peppers on the grill. But for one of the sauce recipes I needed to saute some ingredients including the habs. My kitchen did have a "spicy aroma" but it wasn't too bad. And I was standing over the pan. :ermm:

Back
Top Bottom