"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 05-16-2022, 08:06 AM   #1
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Appleton
Posts: 202
Can I use white distilled vinegar instead of apple cider vinegar

how about in a pinch

georgevan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 08:28 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 26,558
Yes. The flavor will be different, of course, but it will work.

Sent from my SM-T380 using Discuss Cooking mobile app
__________________
Anyplace where people argue about food is a good place.
~ Anthony Bourdain, Parts Unknown, 2018
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 10:20 AM   #3
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: May 2022
Location: London
Posts: 18
Seems like a lot of sites say it's a good substitute, but I've never done it. I think it'll depend how much you need from a flavor standpoint.
Romero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 10:58 AM   #4
Sous Chef
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 845
I would not sub that. white distilled is very harsh / strong compared to ciders or red wine, etc, types.
dcSaute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 11:09 AM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 26,558
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcSaute View Post
I would not sub that. white distilled is very harsh / strong compared to ciders or red wine, etc, types.
It is strong - I wouldn't call it harsh - but sometimes that's what you want. I like a good dose of white vinegar in some dishes.
__________________
Anyplace where people argue about food is a good place.
~ Anthony Bourdain, Parts Unknown, 2018
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 12:52 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 27,770
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Sometimes it is fine to use distilled white vinegar instead of ACV, but other times it will taste too harsh / strong. Tell us what you want to use it in and how much you want to use. I guess we need to know how many servings too.
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 01:36 PM   #7
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Caracas
Posts: 1,294
Quote:
Can I use white distilled vinegar instead of apple cider vinegar?
how about in a pinch
All vinegars have got different flavours, georgevan.
What are you going to use it for?
NB: I wouldnīt talk about a "pinch" of vinegar, but rather a "splash"
karadekoolaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 01:52 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 27,770
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
From Witkionary:
Quote:
Prepositional phrase

in a pinch

(idiomatic) In an urgent or difficult situation; when no other solution is available.

It's not a great fashion statement, but in a pinch a large trash bag will keep you dry.
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 02:58 PM   #9
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 49,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
From Witkionary:
Is In a Pinch anywhere near In communicado? Or maybe near In A Quandary or In Cognito?
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 03:20 PM   #10
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 4,492
Georgevan, you can substitute it in a pinch. It is a strong vinegar flavor. More sour.



If it is in a salad or in a dressing, apple cider vinegar is nice. Or you can use something sweeter like a balsamic, or sweetened or infused vinegar. Seasoned rice wine vinegar has some salt and some sweetener in it.



You could even substitute a wine that is going to vinegar for something milder.
blissful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 07:33 PM   #11
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Appleton
Posts: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by blissful View Post
Georgevan, you can substitute it in a pinch. It is a strong vinegar flavor. More sour.



If it is in a salad or in a dressing, apple cider vinegar is nice. Or you can use something sweeter like a balsamic, or sweetened or infused vinegar. Seasoned rice wine vinegar has some salt and some sweetener in it.



You could even substitute a wine that is going to vinegar for something milder.
I would use it on a salad
georgevan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 08:35 PM   #12
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 4,492
Georgevan, you can use it in a salad dressing. I'd cut back a little on it, or dilute it with a little water. Add a little sugar or sweetener to take the edge off to make it more tangy and sour. Then add all the other ingredients in the dressing.
blissful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 09:51 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 27,770
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Salad dressing is the place I would least likely want to use distilled white vinegar. I would cut back on the amount of vinegar and see how it tasted; add a little more if needed. Adding a small amount of sugar or honey would probably help. Lemon or lime juice would probably also work, but again, cut back on the amount until you have tasted the dressing and add a bit more if it needs it.
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 02:38 AM   #14
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Caracas
Posts: 1,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
From Witkionary:Prepositional phrase

in a pinch
(idiomatic) In an urgent or difficult situation; when no other solution is available.
It's not a great fashion statement, but in a pinch a large trash bag will keep you dry.
Here we go again, then. Across the pond, different formats.
In the UK, its "at a pinch", which is why I didnīt recognise "in a pinch"
Sorry George!
karadekoolaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 09:27 AM   #15
Master Chef
 
dragnlaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Waterdown, Ontario
Posts: 6,610
I rather think that by the time georgevan got all these answers, there was enough time to get to the shops and buy some ACV.

For future reference, should you be out of a vinegar required for a recipe, line up the vinegars that you do have, taste test to see which profile you prefer with the dish and go for that one.

Plus, to be on the safe side, I, personally, would opt for the mildest one.
__________________
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
dragnlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 09:55 AM   #16
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 4,492
Or instead of buying it, make vinegar. An apple scrap (or any fruit scrap) vinegar is generally mild and has active probiotics (if you don't boil it). Kept sealed in glass, it doesn't dissipate or change over a pretty long time period. I'm using some 4 year old fruit scrap vinegar right now. If you only use a little then make a little. We use a lot, some for food and some for cleaning.
blissful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 03:49 PM   #17
Executive Chef
 
larry_stewart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 4,752
Quote:
Originally Posted by blissful View Post
Or instead of buying it, make vinegar. An apple scrap (or any fruit scrap) vinegar is generally mild and has active probiotics (if you don't boil it). Kept sealed in glass, it doesn't dissipate or change over a pretty long time period. I'm using some 4 year old fruit scrap vinegar right now. If you only use a little then make a little. We use a lot, some for food and some for cleaning.
Im still working off the vinegar I made from left over apple scraps when I made apple cider last year. Couldn't have been any easier . Im just sorry I didnt start making the vinegar sooner. ( I used to just give all the scraps to the chickens).
larry_stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 04:32 PM   #18
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 4,492
Quote:
Originally Posted by larry_stewart View Post
Im still working off the vinegar I made from left over apple scraps when I made apple cider last year. Couldn't have been any easier . Im just sorry I didnt start making the vinegar sooner. ( I used to just give all the scraps to the chickens).

Cool, I'm glad you made it! I'm sure we'll make some again this summer once we start canning fruit puree/jam. There's a thread on vinegar somewhere on the site with more information.
blissful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 09:18 PM   #19
Master Chef
 
dragnlaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Waterdown, Ontario
Posts: 6,610
Gosh... how much vinegar do you all use!

Other than for cleaning (with the 10%) and pickling (with 7%) my white, acv, malt vinegars, and I'm sure I have a others, last me for years! If I were to make some... egads I could probably leave some to my great-grands!


Yep, Rice Wine, Red Wine, White Wine and I think I even have a Champaigne Wine Winegar somewhere!
__________________
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
dragnlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 02:32 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 26,558
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragnlaw View Post
Gosh... how much vinegar do you all use!



Other than for cleaning (with the 10%) and pickling (with 7%) my white, acv, malt vinegars, and I'm sure I have a others, last me for years! If I were to make some... egads I could probably leave some to my great-grands!





Yep, Rice Wine, Red Wine, White Wine and I think I even have a Champaigne Wine Winegar somewhere!
I'm a vinegar fiend I use red wine vinegar in my primary salad dressing and I use different types vinegars frequently in my cooking. Such good stuff
__________________
Anyplace where people argue about food is a good place.
~ Anthony Bourdain, Parts Unknown, 2018
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
apple, vinegar

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.