Can I use white distilled vinegar instead of apple cider vinegar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Seems like a lot of sites say it's a good substitute, but I've never done it. I think it'll depend how much you need from a flavor standpoint.

I would not sub that. white distilled is very harsh / strong compared to ciders or red wine, etc, types.

Sometimes it is fine to use distilled white vinegar instead of ACV, but other times it will taste too harsh / strong. Tell us what you want to use it in and how much you want to use. I guess we need to know how many servings too.

Can I use white distilled vinegar instead of apple cider vinegar?
how about in a pinch

All vinegars have got different flavours, georgevan.
What are you going to use it for?
NB: I wouldn´t talk about a "pinch" of vinegar, but rather a "splash"

From Witkionary:
Prepositional phrase

in a pinch

(idiomatic) In an urgent or difficult situation; when no other solution is available.

It's not a great fashion statement, but in a pinch a large trash bag will keep you dry.

Georgevan, you can substitute it in a pinch. It is a strong vinegar flavor. More sour.

If it is in a salad or in a dressing, apple cider vinegar is nice. Or you can use something sweeter like a balsamic, or sweetened or infused vinegar. Seasoned rice wine vinegar has some salt and some sweetener in it.

You could even substitute a wine that is going to vinegar for something milder.

Georgevan, you can substitute it in a pinch. It is a strong vinegar flavor. More sour.

If it is in a salad or in a dressing, apple cider vinegar is nice. Or you can use something sweeter like a balsamic, or sweetened or infused vinegar. Seasoned rice wine vinegar has some salt and some sweetener in it.

You could even substitute a wine that is going to vinegar for something milder.

I would use it on a salad

Georgevan, you can use it in a salad dressing. I'd cut back a little on it, or dilute it with a little water. Add a little sugar or sweetener to take the edge off to make it more tangy and sour. Then add all the other ingredients in the dressing.

Salad dressing is the place I would least likely want to use distilled white vinegar. I would cut back on the amount of vinegar and see how it tasted; add a little more if needed. Adding a small amount of sugar or honey would probably help. Lemon or lime juice would probably also work, but again, cut back on the amount until you have tasted the dressing and add a bit more if it needs it.

From Witkionary:Prepositional phrase

in a pinch
(idiomatic) In an urgent or difficult situation; when no other solution is available.
It's not a great fashion statement, but in a pinch a large trash bag will keep you dry.

Here we go again, then. Across the pond, different formats.
In the UK, its "at a pinch", which is why I didn´t recognise "in a pinch"
Sorry George!

I rather think that by the time georgevan got all these answers, there was enough time to get to the shops and buy some ACV.

For future reference, should you be out of a vinegar required for a recipe, line up the vinegars that you do have, taste test to see which profile you prefer with the dish and go for that one.

Plus, to be on the safe side, I, personally, would opt for the mildest one.

Or instead of buying it, make vinegar. An apple scrap (or any fruit scrap) vinegar is generally mild and has active probiotics (if you don't boil it). Kept sealed in glass, it doesn't dissipate or change over a pretty long time period. I'm using some 4 year old fruit scrap vinegar right now. If you only use a little then make a little. We use a lot, some for food and some for cleaning.

Or instead of buying it, make vinegar. An apple scrap (or any fruit scrap) vinegar is generally mild and has active probiotics (if you don't boil it). Kept sealed in glass, it doesn't dissipate or change over a pretty long time period. I'm using some 4 year old fruit scrap vinegar right now. If you only use a little then make a little. We use a lot, some for food and some for cleaning.

Im still working off the vinegar I made from left over apple scraps when I made apple cider last year. Couldn't have been any easier . Im just sorry I didnt start making the vinegar sooner. ( I used to just give all the scraps to the chickens).

Im still working off the vinegar I made from left over apple scraps when I made apple cider last year. Couldn't have been any easier . Im just sorry I didnt start making the vinegar sooner. ( I used to just give all the scraps to the chickens).

Cool, I'm glad you made it! I'm sure we'll make some again this summer once we start canning fruit puree/jam. There's a thread on vinegar somewhere on the site with more information.

Gosh... how much vinegar do you all use!

Other than for cleaning (with the 10%) and pickling (with 7%) my white, acv, malt vinegars, and I'm sure I have a others, last me for years! If I were to make some... egads I could probably leave some to my great-grands!

Yep, Rice Wine, Red Wine, White Wine and I think I even have a Champaigne Wine Winegar somewhere!

Gosh... how much vinegar do you all use!

Other than for cleaning (with the 10%) and pickling (with 7%) my white, acv, malt vinegars, and I'm sure I have a others, last me for years! If I were to make some... egads I could probably leave some to my great-grands!

Yep, Rice Wine, Red Wine, White Wine and I think I even have a Champaigne Wine Winegar somewhere!
I'm a vinegar fiend [emoji38] I use red wine vinegar in my primary salad dressing and I use different types vinegars frequently in my cooking. Such good stuff :yum:

Back
Top Bottom