Can onion still be served after putting away for three months?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kenny1999

Senior Cook
I happen to find a bag of onions that was put away and I forgot, for three months now, it looks okay but has become a bit soft on touch, is it still okay to serve? Of course it hasn't been peeled

Only way to know is to cut one open. If it has gone soft all the way through then toss them away.

Sometimes you might find the centers still good. Other times the outer layers and inner most parts are soft but the inbetween part is still usable.

But I would not serve them raw, only cooked.

If they've started to sprout, put them in a pot of earth on your window sill and they will probably grow. Or at least a couple of them. ;)

I usually get a 10lb bag of onions which lasts me about 2 months +/-.
Some may get a little soft as time goes on ( and who knows how ling they have been sitting in the market.).

Most common things I'll notice is soft, slight discoloration (usually darker) and maybe. align sliminess to it.

If its just the outermost layer, I just remove it, rinse it, and use it .

If its affecting a few layers, I usually just chuck it.

If it smells bad or like its rotting, or any evidence of flies, out it goes no matter how many of few layers are affected.

I just recently (last week) salvaged onions from our garden from harvest last year. We grew 600 bulbs of onions and some were starting to sprout. So first I cleaned and chopped the greens coming off of them, bagged and frozen. Then I peeled and cleaned keeping only the white firm onion parts, mr bliss diced them in the slapper chopper. We ended up with 4 flattened gallon bags to freeze. I have 2 2-gallon buckets of onions left fresh in the basement. So most of them were used and the rest will take us until our next patch of onions is ready to harvest.

Back
Top Bottom