Can you cook frozen chicken in a standard pressure cooker?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Linda0818

Head Chef
This is NOT an instant pot. It's a standard pressure cooker where you lock the lid down and it goes on the stovetop with the little weight you put on the steam valve, etc. But when I try and look up information, there are directions and recommendations everywhere for an instant pot. I became so frustrated that I was shouting at my screen, "I don't have an instant pot! It's an old fashioned pressure cooker!"

:LOL:

I just want to know if it's safe to cook frozen (or partially thawed) meat - in this particular case, chicken - in my pressure cooker. I'm a little intimidated by this thing, as I've never used one before. But tomorrow I would like to cook a chicken leg quarter and vegetables, but I just took the chicken out of the freezer and it may not be completely thawed by then.

Plus, any tips for using a standard pressure cooker would be appreciated.

You can certainly cook your frozen, or partially thawed chicken in a pressure cooker. Just understand that by the time the chicken is done, the veggies will be very soft.

My technique is to put the PC onto the stove over medium high heat, with about 2 tbs, of cooking oil, I then put in the chicken to brown the skin and develop a richer flavor. Remove the chicken and put in your veggies, Season everything and put the chicken on top of the veggies. Add 1 1/2 cups chicken broth/stock and secure the lid. Heat over medium-high heat until the weight/pressure controller just starts to jiggle. Reduce heat to keep the weight barely jiggling. Cook for 20 minutes, Remove from heat and place the entire pot into a clean sink. Run cold water from the tap, over the lid until the safety valve drops and releases all of the pressure. Remove the weight and the the lid. Everything should be done.
if you want to get a little fancier, place the chicken pieces onto a foil lined cookie sheet, and brush with a glaze, or bbq sauce and place under the broiler for 5 minutes,

Alternately, you can sauce the chicken before pressure cooking, if your veggies will work with it.

I like this technique even better with country style pork ribs, or beef short ribs. Just add onions, garlic, and sauce,

You can make a mean lasagna in a pressure cooker too. Just assemble the lasagna in the PC, with a wet sauce, No need to pre-cook the noodles, They will absorb the extra liquid from the sace, and all will be done in about ten minutes after the cooker reaches pressure. I love cooking in a pressure cooker. I used to teach lessons on using it, with nutritionists.

Seeeeya Chief Longwind of the North

Last edited:
You can certainly cook your frozen, or partially thawed chicken in a pressure cooker. Just understand that by the time the chicken is done, the veggies will be very soft.

My technique is to put the PC onto the stove over medium high heat, with about 2 tbs, of cooking oil, I then put in the chicken to brown the skin and develop a richer flavor. Remove the chicken and put in your veggies, Season everything and put the chicken on top of the veggies. Add 1 1/2 cups chicken broth/stock and secure the lid. Heat over medium-high heat until the weight/pressure controller just starts to jiggle. Reduce heat to keep the weight barely jiggling. Cook for 20 minutes, Remove from heat and place the entire pot into a clean sink. Run cold water from the tap, over the lid until the safety valve drops and releases all of the pressure. Remove the weight and the the lid. Everything should be done.
if you want to get a little fancier, place the chicken pieces onto a foil lined cookie sheet, and brush with a glaze, or bbq sauce and place under the broiler for 5 minutes,

Alternately, you can sauce the chicken before pressure cooking, if your veggies will work with it.

I like this technique even better with country style pork ribs, or beef short ribs. Just add onions, garlic, and sauce,

You can make a mean lasagna in a pressure cooker too. Just assemble the lasagna in the PC, with a wet sauce, No need to pre-cook the noodles, They will absorb the extra liquid from the sace, and all will be done in about ten minutes after the cooker reaches pressure. I love cooking in a pressure cooker. I used to teach lessons on using it, with nutritionists.

Seeeeya Chief Longwind of the North

Thank you, Chief, that sounds great. I was thinking, however, of doing the basic release style instead of running it under cold water, i.e. letting the pressure come down naturally until all the pressure is removed. I'd like to try it that way first, to get familiar with standard pressure cooking, before I try the quicker method.

I will take your suggestion of browning the chicken a little bit first. That would definitely make it all taste better.

Thanks much!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom