Canned veggies that are "okay" or good

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

taxlady

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
The thread about food hates got me wondering. What canned vegis do you find acceptable or good? I think most of us use canned tomatoes. Which vegis do you regularly enjoy? Which ones are good enough to have around for emergencies? Which ones would you have to be extremely hungry to eat?

I'll go first.

Canned vegis I am happy with:

• beets
  • tomatoes
  • stewed tomatoes
  • bamboo shoots
  • water chestnut
  • beans, the kind you can cook from dry
  • hominy

Canned vegis that are acceptatble:
  • green beans
  • wax beans
  • corn
  • mushrooms
  • artichoke hearts

Canned vegis I detest:
  • peas
  • asparagus

Canned vegis I am happy with:

- tomatoes
- Mushrooms ( Button and Straw)
- bamboo shoots
- water chestnut
- Baby corn
- beans, the kind you can cook from dry
- Corn
- hominy
- Artichoke Hearts
- Hearst's of Palm

Canned vegis that are acceptatble:

- Beets
- Potatoes ( for stews are ok, but have a weird consistency and slight tangy taste)

Canned vegis I detest:

- peas ( although there is a vegetarian 'chopped liver" recipe that uses them which is good, but only cause they are mashed up and mixed with other stuff so you wouldn't
know they are their.

- asparagus
- green beans
- wax beans
- Carrots
- Spinach ( the color alone is enough to deem them detestable )
- Bean sprouts

Last edited:
I enjoy:
canned corn, has to be crisp
creamed corn
green wax beans
hominy
most tomato products
most beans (garbanzo, navy, great northern dark red kidney, butter, lima, etc.)
baby corn
mushrooms
sweet potatoes
pumpkin
water chestnuts
bamboo shoots
beets (Harvard and plain)
pickled cauliflower (pickled anything realy)

Acceptable:
peas
carrots
bean sprouts (in a p[mch, and just barely)

Don't care for"
hearts of palm
new potatoes
artichoke hearts (love them fresh)
okra
boiled peanuts in shell

That's all
I can think of right now.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
asparagus

pearl onions

I love canned vegetables.

Peas, corn, green beans, lime beans are my favorites.

I prefer canned peas to frozen. But eat both.

Canned veggies that I buy, ones with * only occasionally:

Tomatoes
Beans of any type, except green beans
Whole Corn
Creamed corn, but only when used in a recipe, like a corn bread recipe*
Pumpkin, for pie*
Baby Corn, the Asian type*
Bamboo shoots
Water chestnuts
Straw mushrooms
Many Asian vegetables, used more as
seasonings, like Szechwan preserved
vegetable*
Hominy*
Chile peppers - chipotles and roasted green

Some would be ok in a soup or a curry, like carrots, but I always have those fresh, and peas, but those I get frozen. And probably some I can't think of, because I haven't used them for so long, but not because I didn't like them - just nothing great.

It's those canned asparagus, greens, and brassicas that I do remember, and they will never be in my can pantry!

Last edited:
I like most veggies most anyway I get them. My dislike list is fairly short.

I do not like asparagus, some greens, carrots, or okra from cans.

I don't think I have had carrots from a can since I had mixed vegis from a can as a kid. Those were okay, but not good.

taxlady, I remember those mixed vegetables Mom used to feed us - what I remember about them was not something I liked in them, but something my sister didn't like - lima beans - and she would pick them all out, and put them on my plate.:LOL:

taxlady, I remember those mixed vegetables Mom used to feed us - what I remember about them was not something I liked in them, but something my sister didn't like - lima beans - and she would pick them all out, and put them on my plate.:LOL:

Thank goodness my mum found some without lima beans. Both my sister and I hated them. In fact, I hated them so much that I haven't had a lima bean as an adult and that's a very, very long time. One of these days I will try them again. One of the reasons I want to try them again is that I have had fava beans (first cousins to lima beans) and they were good. Of course, those fava beans probably didn't come out of a can.

I like canned beans, and I use canned tomatoes over fresh tomatoes, because the fresh tomatoes available to me are terrible. I use San Marzano D.O.P. whole canned tomatoes for sauce, and diced canned tomatoes for other dishes.

I also use canned (or jarred) artichoke hearts.

As tax lady already mentioned, canned asparagus is an abomination.

CD

I wasn't crazy about lima beans, but I didn't mind them in things, like the succotash, and my Dad loved them. We even had just lima beans with butter sometimes, and I remember some giant limas that were very strong flavored. But probably the last time I actually used limas was making succotash many years ago, and they were dry limas.

I don't think I have had carrots from a can since I had mixed vegis from a can as a kid. Those were okay, but not good.
taxlady, I remember those mixed vegetables Mom used to feed us - what I remember about them was not something I liked in them, but something my sister didn't like - lima beans - and she would pick them all out, and put them on my plate.[emoji38]
DH hates Veg-All so much he made a point of telling me that when we first moved in together [emoji1787]

DH hates Veg-All so much he made a point of telling me that when we first moved in together [emoji1787]

My dad was the same way! My grandmother, his mother-in-law would make a chicken pot pie with Veg-all and he would eat it but complain after she left because she knew his strong dislike for the stuff.

In a pinch, you can use commercially canned carrots to make a 'pumpkin' pie or a carrot cake.

The canned sweet potatoes in heavy syrup also make a nice pie.

I still haven't found a use for canned spinach or canned asparagus but I try to keep an open mind. :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

In a pinch, you can use commercially canned carrots to make a 'pumpkin' pie or a carrot cake.

The canned sweet potatoes in heavy syrup also make a nice pie.

I still haven't found a use for canned spinach or canned asparagus but I try to keep an open mind. :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Canned spinach can be drained, spread out on paper towels to dry a bit, then used in spinach dip with cream cheese and water chestnuts. Of coarse, fresh, or frozen spinach is better. but in a pinch...

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Home canned, no salt added, tomatoes, squash, corn, green beans, grapes, pineapple, low-salt sweet sour pickles, concentrated fruit purees w/o much if any sugar, low salt ketchup and mustards, dijon and yellow, brown sauce, hot sauces, salsas, legumes.
Commercially canned mushrooms but we will can those if they go on sale.

I saw that walmart is carrying a tomato sauce w/o sugar or oil which is low in salt now, one of walmart's brands.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom