Can't cook a French omelet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Dave the Baker,

About the 1# sack of beans - I'm assuming that exercise is to work on my flipping skills (to which I have none)? Is the idea to try to flip the sack 180 degrees using my wrist?

It sounds like you've tried cooking omelets with eggbeaters but without success, so its probably the eggs and butter that makes the difference. In cooking episode by Alton, he suggested using warm eggs as opposed to eggs fresh out of the fridge (supposedly the french do it this way). I wonder if warming egg beaters would have the same effect?

tommy, one you learn the 'flip' you'll use it a lot.

The curved side of the pan does the work. If you pull the pan towards you sharply, the sack of beans is pushed into the opposite wall of the pan. It follows the curve of the pan up into the air and flips. All you have to do is have the pan in place to catch it when it comes down.

I'm afraid I didn't myself entirely clear. One opens the sack of dry beans and places the desired amount, starting small, into the pan in question. Then proceed by giving the pan a small forward movement followed by the sharp jerk backwards as described by Andy. This will cause the dry beans to move toward the far edge of the pan and the jerk will cause them to rise upward amd toward the flipper. The next job is to catch them in the pan. Next step: Pick the dry beans up off the floor and replace them in the pan. Once you have successfully managed to flip a small amount of dry beans a lot of times without spilling them, increase the amount of dry beans and keep practicing. Once you have the confidence, try making an omelet (keep the mop handy). Get your pan very hot, add 1 Tbsp Butter and rapidly swirl it around the pan. Add the pre-mixed eggs and tilt the pan about to cover the bottom. Loosen the sides with a rapid motion of the spatula. Add filling if desired. With a practiced motion do the flipping motion to flip 1/3 of the omelet at the far end of the pan over; quickly repeat the motion to fold the 2/3 portion over the remaining one-third portion; slide onto a warm plate and serve at once.

well ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmm beans behave more like a fluid than a somewhat crisp rectangle of bread. Dry beans are used as a substitute for the eggs as they are easier to sweep up. Once you have mastered the technique you are free to flip anything you like, toast, road apples or whatever........................

well ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmm beans behave more like a fluid than a somewhat crisp rectangle of bread. Dry beans are used as a substitute for the eggs as they are easier to sweep up. Once you have mastered the technique you are free to flip anything you like, toast, road apples or whatever........................
:LOL: LOL i only flip overeasy eggs. never tried to flip an omelet, i just do the fold.

I learned to flip an omelette (American style) when working at the Holiday Inn's breakfast buffet. My first was in front of an audience... of course, I warned them to stand back. It went well!

I learned to flip an omelette (American style) when working at the Holiday Inn's breakfast buffet. My first was in front of an audience... of course, I warned them to stand back. It went well!
congrats!! that worked out nicely! a little humor goes a long way.

I taught my son to flip eggs when he was about 10. While practicing is probably when he developed high cholesterol! :LOL:

shake your teflon pan forward, flick your wrist, & flip! & who says you cannot push it over with a utensil! :)

Or,,,,,one could always purchase one of those awful split "Omelette" pans and be done with it. Of course that would be akin to stowing away on the Titanic. Have a nice voyage........................

Callisto said it right......... Also, get yourself a 1# bag of beans and practice flipping them in your omlette pan. And practice...and practice....and practice some more. But nothing helps with egg beaters. I have to eat them because of my diet and have had no luck. I just end up scrambling them as best I can. They don't look pretty.

There's no reason to flip an omelette. A proper omelette can be made without flipping, and if done properly, there will be no browning.

And 10" is huge. Much too big for a 2 or 3 egg omelette.

from back to when i was a kid, i can't eat browned eggs. the flavor changes and tastes burned to me. years later when i was an adult i read somewhere (it was several years ago and i can't remember where) that browned eggs were not healthy because the protein is changed in some way. has anyone else read this before? i only order poached eggs when i eat out.

come to think about it i don't see many people flipping omelets. i usually see the 2 or 3 fold onto the plate method. flipping an over easy egg is a tricky accomplishment. i learned to do out of necessity when i lost my spatula after a move and just HAD to have a "dipping" egg. LOL

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom