Can't make gelatinous chicken stock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gwh

Assistant Cook
Hi everyone,

I've been making chicken stock lately with 2 kg of chicken carcasses and 1 kg of chicken necks. I put in the usual veges and bouquet garni, but every time I make it I don't get that gelatinous type stock that you're supposed to achieve.

I wondered if someone could tell me how I can remedy this? I read somewhere that chicken feet are supposed to help but I'm a bit squeamish about using feet so wondered if there are any other alternatives?

Appreciate any advice.

How long do you simmer the pot? You have all you need to get the job done. When I make chicken stock, I simmer the pot for around 4-5 hours.

I use Ina Garten's ( Barefoot Contessa) recipe for stock and it always turns out gelatinous. Good luck. If if tastes good, I'm not sure why it would have to be gelatinous. I thought it got that way from the bones.

I roast the bones in the oven at about 250 for 5-6 hours. Always ends up gelatinous. When I make broth, I do it stovetop and used meat and bones.

Thanks for the replies,

I simmer for around 4 hours.

A few years ago I used to make a smaller amount of stock with about 2 to 3 carcasses and about 6 chicken wings (and the other veges etc.). When I did it that way, it always turned out gelatinous. I just can't understand why a larger amount wouldn't work. I know it's not the amount of water because I use a tall and narrow stockpot and there's a larger ratio of ingredients to water so it's not getting diluted in any way.

I really can't work it out.

With the larger amount you may have to go longer than you did before. Think about cooking a roast - the larger the roast, the longer the cook time.

Maybe you should break as many of the bones as possible. I would use more water and then when I thought I had gotten everything I could out of the bones, I would remove them and reduce the liquid. I usually cook stock for six or more hours and my chicken stock always turns out gelatinous. Hmmm, maybe it's because I make stock from bones that were cooked in other dishes and very little meat?

I started roasting the bones, necks and wings for about an hour at 425F. Then add and roast the veg for about another hour. Since doing this, the stock always turns out like jelly when cooled.

Craig

I think I'll try roasting the bones beforehand.

Thanks again everyone

My friends who are trained chefs always recommend roasting the bones. I sometimes break them, sometimes not. I haven't tried making the stock at a higher temperature because I usually leave it in the oven overnight on low so it is done in the morning. I do the same with beef stock except I brown the bones first and then roast them for 8-12 hours. Adding a little bit of vinegar brings out the calcium in the bones (supposedly). When making poultry stock, I add a teaball 1/2 filled with pickling spices.

Last edited:
I use Ina Garten's ( Barefoot Contessa) recipe for stock and it always turns out gelatinous. Good luck. If if tastes good, I'm not sure why it would have to be gelatinous. I thought it got that way from the bones.

I prefer my stock to be gelatinous for the (hopefully) benefit of the collagen and calcium for my bones and joints. At age 65 I have severe osteoporosis, and the fact that I eat a lot of this kind of stock seems to be helping.

Interesting, jennyema. I only use the bones--meat removed and have had no problem re: it not being gelatinous. I never add wings to the stock before roasting the bones.

Interesting, jennyema. I only use the bones--meat removed and have had no problem re: it not being gelatinous. I never add wings to the stock before roasting the bones.

I think she mentioned the wings because they are mostly bone :rolleyes:

But, the OP did add chicken necks and there's a lot of bone there.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom