caramel 2 methods

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eager

Assistant Cook
Hi guys,

My dad always thought me to make caramel in a dry non-stick pan without adding any liquid to it and ones it has a nice amber color (and lightly begins to smoke) get it of the heat put butter in and that's it. pretty straight forward.

Now I just watched a video where one adds water to the sugar at the start and than bring it up to a boil. Just wondering would there be any difference between them as end product. I mean logically, ones the temperature reaches 100 degrees Celsius, the water evaporates and you still end up with just sugar which can than caramelize, and maybe (some calcium from the water).

Any Pro ideas on this one?
Also If you would choose the latter it seems logical to me to make the sugar first dissolve in the water.

Cheers!

Last edited:
The water shouldn't make a difference in the end result. As you said, the water all boils off and you are down to melted sugar in the pot.

The water makes it easier to get the sugar melted and up to temperature without problems.

The water shouldn't make a difference in the end result. As you said, the water all boils off and you are down to melted sugar in the pot.

The water makes it easier to get the sugar melted and up to temperature without problems.

Wicked thanks for your super swift reply!

cheers!:chef:

Back
Top Bottom