Cast iron pan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mcc1961

Assistant Cook
I just got a cast iron pan and I seasoned it last night with vegetable oil.Today I tried to cook a steak in it and I did not put any oil in the pan and the steak stuck,should I put some oil before I put in the steak?I preheated the pan in a 500 degree oven and then put it on an eye of the stove on high and seared each side 30 seconds,then I put it back in the oven and when I had to turn it after 3 minutes it did not stick this time.I was trying something I saw on you tube.

I use my 8" skillet mostly for cornbread. I always use cooking spray as it will occasionally stick in the middle making a mess when I go to turn it out.

I take it out of the pan and put it on a plate for cutting because the hot pan can continue to cook the bottom.

You may have to season it a few times before it becomes "non-stick". The more you cook with it, the better it gets. You will most likely need some oil until the skillet becomes well seasoned.

I also spray the pan again after I wipe it out. It's still only about a year old, and I use a Teflon pan usually, so it will be awhile before it's really non-stick. I definitely wouldn't try to fry an egg in it yet. Right now it's just my cornbread pan.

I also spray the pan again after I wipe it out. It's still only about a year old, and I use a Teflon pan usually, so it will be awhile before it's really non-stick. I definitely wouldn't try to fry an egg in it yet. Right now it's just my cornbread pan.

That's a good way to continue the seasoning. Fry some bacon. Nothing better for seasoning the pan and for eating!:pig:

That's a good way to continue the seasoning. Fry some bacon. Nothing better for seasoning the pan and for eating!:pig:

I guess I could wipe it down with the bacon grease I have in my large skillet.

It's only 8" so it isn't big enough for the bacon I need for my favorite bacon, Swiss (and sometimes egg) on Rye sandwich.:pig:
Pork Rules!:LOL:

Last edited:
Immediately prior to placing steak into screaming hot pan we add a chunk of butter. The butter seems to promote browning of the steak and alleviate sticking. For 1 1/2" steak we fry 3 - 4 minutes on each side.

Can anyone explain how you season a new Cast Iron pot. Also, how do you clean a Cast Iron skillet. I have one that has ridges for grilling and when I cook with it I use a little olive oil so the meat does not stick. However, there is always some stuff stuck on there that is hard to get off after cooking with it. In that case can you wash off those bits or do you never use water on it and just scrape it off? I am a little confused as to how it works best with these pots.

If the pot is clean and rust free, coat it with a very light coating of shortening (Crisco) on all surfaces inside and out and the lid. Place the pot and lid in a 350 F preheated oven. The pot should be upside down. Place a large piece of foil on the shelf below the pot to catch drips. Leave it in the oven for a hour then turn off the oven and leave the pot in there until it's cold.

To clean your ridged pan, boil water in it for ten minutes to soften the crud then use a wood or plastic utensil to scrape it clean.

If the pot is clean and rust free, coat it with a very light coating of shortening (Crisco) on all surfaces inside and out and the lid. Place the pot and lid in a 350 F preheated oven. The pot should be upside down. Place a large piece of foil on the shelf below the pot to catch drips. Leave it in the oven for a hour then turn off the oven and leave the pot in there until it's cold.

To clean your ridged pan, boil water in it for ten minutes to soften the crud then use a wood or plastic utensil to scrape it clean.

Thanks so much. I am not sure if I actually cured that pot properly when I got it I did coat it with shortening but don't remember baking it in the oven. Is it too late to do that now? It seems to be seasoned from using it often.

Thanks so much. I am not sure if I actually cured that pot properly when I got it I did coat it with shortening but don't remember baking it in the oven. Is it too late to do that now? It seems to be seasoned from using it often.

If it's black and not rusting, it's seasoned. You can certainly season it now but it's probably not necessary.

If it's black and not rusting, it's seasoned. You can certainly season it now but it's probably not necessary.

Thanks, I don't think I need to on that one but I may have some others I can season. Can you use anything other than Crisco, I don't have any of that handy?

Can anyone explain how you season a new Cast Iron pot. Also, how do you clean a Cast Iron skillet. I have one that has ridges for grilling and when I cook with it I use a little olive oil so the meat does not stick. However, there is always some stuff stuck on there that is hard to get off after cooking with it. In that case can you wash off those bits or do you never use water on it and just scrape it off? I am a little confused as to how it works best with these pots.

When I clean a cast iron pan I heat slowly it with a layer of salt. Then I dry scrub it with the bamboo brush that came with our wok. Then I brush off all the salt and sometimes wipe with a dry rag or paper towel.

Pouring the cornbread batter in a circle into the pan keeps the cornbread from sticking so much. Pouring it all in one spot seems to 'push' the seasoning/oil away no matter what pan or dish is used. I learned that only about a year ago and I've been making cornbread for 50 years!

Babetoo: Is it possible that the porcelain is on the outside of the pan and that the inside might need seasoning? I realize that there are some like Le Crueset that have porcelain on both sides...

As For the ridges... I have 3 such pans and am looking to get 1 or 2 more. I have made bacon on my 2 burner grill now for probably 2-3 years now. I can let it sit in Dawn Dish liquid and it wont hurt it. On occasion I will cook a lamb chop or rack on it or maybe a steak. On those occasions I might do the salt trick, I might take a butter knife to it and scrape the grooves out. Sometimes I will take a little Dawn to it because my wife dosent like it when her bacon taste like...something else. Short of that I dont wash it unless it sits for a few weeks and I think it might be rancid. I let it get warm while pre heating the oven for a given weeks bacon, pour off the excess , layer on another 10 or pieces of bacon and season it some more.
On occasion... such as when I have cooked something else on it and I havent washed it, I will use the 10" or 8" grill pan... so I can get them seasoned...
If I happen to think of it, on occasion I will cook bacon on the Pizza pan to get it seasoned... nothing sticks to it either.
Maybe 1 or twice a year I will take my other pans... I think I have 12, slather them with bacon fat or vege oil and fire them for a few hours.
Several years ago when I lived full time on the farm, I would oil my pans up, most of them, one of them I would season a steak up and put it in a pan, on a cold night and stick them straight into the wood stove. I would have a raging orange hot roaring fire going and let that rip. That great thing about cast iron is that nothing will hurt it as long as it covered with oil.
Making Bacon in the Wok was a little weird, but nothing sticks to it...

Back
Top Bottom