Cast iron question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

twisterman

Assistant Cook
Hello all...
New member here. having a bit of an issue.
My job requires me to travel extensively, about 50 weeks out of the year and I pretty much live out of hotels all over the US. As such, my cooking supplies are limited, since I can only have so much stuff on the road to pack around.
I bought a Calphalon reversible griddle/grill that fits over 2 burners. I've cooked with cast iron before, so I didn't really expect any issues.
However, I've noticed that the surface of this griddle is different from the skillets I've used before. They were a smooth texture on the cooking surface, whereas this griddle (and the reverse side) is a bit of a bumpy, rough texture.
Made (or attempted to, LOL) pancakes this morning, actually was trying to make bacon/pancake dippers (with the bacon inside) for myself and my co-workers. But the pancakes only stuck to the griddle and basically came off looking like scrambled pancakes, hahaha.
Since I don't have an oven, all I have is a small toaster oven of my own, and the two-burner stove and microwave that are in the hotel room that I'm currently in, I can't really season it the right way. :neutral:But I did wash it first, dried it, and applied a thin coat of vegetable oil to it. Cooked the bacon on it this morning and then the "scrambled pancakes".
I am wondering if the rough bumpy texture has something to do with my issues? Does it just need more seasoning? Or can someone recommend a better griddle than this one, maybe one with a smooth surface? I've never seen this cooking surface on cast iron before. I've read reviews on this griddle and others claim that their pancakes turn out great.
Sorry for the long and maybe over-explaining post, but any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks! :)

I wasn't aware that Calphalon made cast iron pieces so I can't speak to that. Are you sure it's cast iron and not some other rather heavy metal? I'm at a bit of a loss to offer any help but there'll surely be someone who will come along and shed clearer light on your dilemma.

Also, many of the newer cast iron pieces are sand cast, which would account for the roughish texture you describe.

Okay, I just went to Calphalon's website and educated myself and, yes, I see the piece of cookware you describe.

I think it's really an issue of getting it seasoned more thoroughly. If it is sand cast, extra seasoning will aid in filling the gaps in the rough surface. Now, this won't happen overnight and, especially under your described cooking conditions, it may take significantly longer.

I have a lodge reversible griddle/grill pan. It's pretty smooth and I've never had anything stick. I also use a little coconut oil spray.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

Thanks... Yeah, that's kinda what I'm thinking, that it's just going to take time to build up that seasoning glaze and fill in around the bumps on it.
:ermm:
This is what it looks like as far as the texture.
Guess I'll just have to cook a lot more bacon, burgers and such on it.
:yum: :LOL:

Attachments

• skillet.jpg
    skillet.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 221
I have a lodge reversible griddle/grill pan. It's pretty smooth and I've never had anything stick. I also use a little coconut oil spray.

I almost got the Lodge one, but decided on the Calphalon because it has a little trough around to collect drippings from grease.
I didn't open the package on the Lodge brand though. Is the texture on that one not like what's in the image I posted in my last reply?

Rough casting

I used to work in a cast iron foundry. I know you can get that sort of texture if there are a lot of impurities left in the iron before you pour it. They may have done it on purpose for some other reason.

I have Lodge CI skillets that came with a pebbly finish. Once they were well-seasoned they were non-stick enough to fry eggs and have them slide all over the pan.

I have Lodge CI skillets that came with a pebbly finish. Once they were well-seasoned they were non-stick enough to fry eggs and have them slide all over the pan.

Thanks.... So Andy, sounds like those are pretty much the same way. Just gonna take time, I guess.

Welcome to DC! Something else you might consider, I have the electric Presto Liddle Griddle. It's small, lightweight, and does a great job.

I almost got the Lodge one, but decided on the Calphalon because it has a little trough around to collect drippings from grease.

I didn't open the package on the Lodge brand though. Is the texture on that one not like what's in the image I posted in my last reply?

I just pulled mine out, here's a picture of the griddle side of it. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416600133.574092.jpg

To me it looks significantly smoother than yours. It has a little bit of texture but not a lot.

I just pulled mine out, here's a picture of the griddle side of it. View attachment 22249

To me it looks significantly smoother than yours. It has a little bit of texture but not a lot.

Hhhhmm... yeah it does look smoother. Thanks for the pic. You've had that one for a while? Do you fry bacon on that one? If so, how do you handle the drippings?

Hhhhmm... yeah it does look smoother. Thanks for the pic. You've had that one for a while? Do you fry bacon on that one? If so, how do you handle the drippings?

I've had it for several months. Yes I fry bacon on it, it has a raised side that seems to do a fine job keeping the fat contained, I've never had an issue with it!

Since I don't have an oven, all I have is a small toaster oven of my own, and the two-burner stove and microwave that are in the hotel room that I'm currently in, I can't really season it the right way. :neutral:But I did wash it first, dried it, and applied a thin coat of vegetable oil to it. Cooked the bacon on it this morning and then the "scrambled pancakes".
You don't say what kind of oil or fat (butter?) or how much of it you used. The "thin coat of vegetable oil" applied after washing probably wasn't enough. I think you'll be okay just using more fat until you get the seasoning down. Of course, don't wash it with soap any more.

BTW, if you're cooking for one, a Lodge six inch cast iron skillet fits nicely in a four slice toaster oven for cornbread, frittatas and such.

We considered getting an electric skillet for DH to use in his apartment when he's at work since it will do a lot of things a microwave can't. You might consider that and it could be used to make your pancakes and bacon as well. They come in a variety of sizes so you could find one that fits your needs.

Update....
Ok, so it's been about 3 weeks since I first posted the question. Since then I've used it several times, on both sides... burgers, brats, eggs, bacon... and everything has been coming out great!
Also made pancakes on it last week a couple of times, and they came out nicely as well. And this morning, made the pancake-bacon dippers. They came out GREAT!!! Shared with a couple of co-workers and met with hearty approval. :)
I may get nominated to make more, LOL.
Skilletlicker, I have been using vegetable oil, and just a thin coat. Just poured a bit on the griddle while warm, and used a paper towel to spread it around, left the burners on low for about 20 minutes. Repeated that after every time I cooked with it, after cleaning it with hot water and a stiff plastic scrub brush to get chunks off. Made sure I let it cool to where it wasn't too hot to avoid warping with a big temperature difference between the water and the heat of the griddle.
Also thought about the electric options that a couple of you have mentioned, but I was determined to get this right :)
Thanks for everyone's tips and suggestions!!

Attachments

• 20141214_101928.jpg
    20141214_101928.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 154
  • 20141214_101953.jpg
    20141214_101953.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 155
  • 20141214_102125.jpg
    20141214_102125.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 170

Latest posts

Back