Cheese Making?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

betterthanabox

Senior Cook
Is anyone making their own cheese? Do you have any easy starter recipes? I would love to get into making my own since I love it so much!

Hello,

I basically do the beginner cheeses which are super easy one is ricotta basically bring a pot of milk to around 180 with a splash of vinegar in it and when it seperates you turn it off let it rest 10 mins and strain the cheese let it hang in cheesecloth for a few hours and its good. other is mozzarella but i havnt made in long time you can look up they have kits to make it its pretty easy as well

My DH thinks we need a dairy cow--I'm not quite ready to commit to milking 2x/day. I tried ricotta last summer--it didn't work for me, but I probably didn't do it right. It didn't thicken. I have to go to NY this weekend to p/up mail from folks in the US (asked that the mail be sent to the UPS store instead of to my P.O. Box in Canada since Canada Post is on strike--a pain, but there is a side benefit--I can go grocery shopping while I'm there). Milk is a lot cheaper in NY. I can bring back $20 of dairy products, I think I'll buy a couple of gallons of milk and try making ricotta and moz. again. A friend of mine used to make goat cheese (she had goats). It was so good.

I guess I better clean out the fridge so I can squeeze two gallons of milk in...

Back
Top Bottom