Cherry Tomato & Basil tart - Help, what did I do wrong?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Elf

Senior Cook
I made a Cherry Tomato & Basil tart using Dinner Doctor's recipe. Basically you use crescent rolls as a crust, blind bake 8 min. place Cherry Tomatoes that are cut in half, cut side up, the bottom, top with S&P finely cut up basil and a mixture of eggs, heavy cream and mozzarella. Bale for 20 min. let cool 5 min.
The tart didn't set up so I threw it into the microwave for 4 min. checking each min. The tart finally set up but there was a lot of liquid on the bottom, and the crust was soggy.
Should I have scooped out the seeds and pulp? Would that have eliminated the problem? The tart it self, other then the soggy bottom crust was very good.

Seems obvious that there was too much liquid for some reason. Too much cream? Maybe too many tomatoes? Perhaps you should have sauteed the tomatoes before adding them to the crust? Just wild guesses.

If you followed the recipe Elf - my first thought is that the thermostat in your oven is off and it wasn't as hot as you thought it was (375°F) - that's easy enough to check with an oven thermometer. And, the bake for 18-20 minutes is just a guideline (it can be different depending on your oven, what material your tart pan was made from) ... perhaps letting it bake another 4-5 minutes would have set up your egg/cream/cheese. That's what I would have tried.

I somehow think you compounded the problem by trying to finish the cooking in the microwave.

I'm with you Michael - I think the microwave definitely didn't help. A microwave won't make things crispy. Probably about 10-15 minutes more in the oven may have helped.

If you followed the recipe Elf - my first thought is that the thermostat in your oven is off and it wasn't as hot as you thought it was (375°F) - that's easy enough to check with an oven thermometer. And, the bake for 18-20 minutes is just a guideline (it can be different depending on your oven, what material your tart pan was made from) ... perhaps letting it bake another 4-5 minutes would have set up your egg/cream/cheese. That's what I would have tried.

I somehow think you compounded the problem by trying to finish the cooking in the microwave.
Bad link, Michael. It leads to a grocery delivery service's site called Fresh Direct.

Bad link, Michael. It leads to a grocery delivery service's site called Fresh Direct.

Yeah - enter your zip code on the first page so they can tell you if they have a store in your location or not, and then the link to the recipe should work.

I had a similar problem with a bacon and onion tart... cooking longer did work better.

Back
Top Bottom