Chicken Flavor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bob Bolshavic

Assistant Cook
Hello All! I consider myself a pretty good cook but there is one thing that I can't figure out. Whenever I cook chicken whether grilling, oven or stove top I always get this wild game flavor after its done cooking. I tried coating with barbecue sauces, salt and pepper but nothing seems to get that wild flavor out of the meat. The meat smells fine before I start cooking it. I never taste that when I get chicken from a restaurant or deli cooked chicken. Anybody else experience this?

No. I buy all of my meat from Omaha Steaks and the only chicken they sell is boneless skinless chicken breasts. I wrote them a letter once, asking them what they do with the rest of the chicken, but they never responded.

Welcome to the forum!

I'm not sure what that "wild game flavor" is you are getting in your chicken. What places do you purchase that chicken? Is this chicken that has been brined? I have noticed that a lot around here, and I refuse to buy chicken or pork (the other meat this happens in), which not only have water pumped into them, but seasonings - maybe it's these seasonings you are tasting? One store around here has every chicken and pork they sell brined, so I don't buy them there.

The only time I've noticed an odd taste is with inexpensive leg quarters from older birds.

The first thing I would do is shop for my chicken at another store.

Some game recipes recommend soaking meat/poultry in saltwater, buttermilk, or regular milk to tenderize it, draw the blood, gamey flavor, etc...

Good luck!

I usually get them from Walmart or Sav A lot. Its always a whole chicken or parts with bones. The boneless skinless parts I have not noticed that flavor. I love them deli rotisseris and even bought a rotisserie awhile back for myself but still can't get rid of that wild flavor.

I usually get them from Walmart or Sav A lot. Its always a whole chicken or parts with bones. The boneless skinless parts I have not noticed that flavor. I love them deli rotisseris and even bought a rotisserie awhile back for myself but still can't get rid of that wild flavor.

I'd definitely try a different brand. I can often get Sanderson Farms for a very affordable price and it isn't full of solution (the label says "less than 1%). I'd try Tyson or Purdue to see if you have any luck with that. Sav-a-lot is probably selling whatever's cheapest, maybe older birds. I like a bargain, and shop Aldi and Lidl, but Sav-a-Lot has always seemed pretty sketchy (I have no evidence of this, just a personal feeling).

Have you tried capons, or cornish game hens? They are, IMHO, better tasting than is chicken, at least for roasting. Also, Whole chickens are not always equal. Roasting chickens are older birds, meant to be slow-roasted with herbs, and seasonings, to tenderize the tougher, richer meat, while fryi g chickens, even purchased whole, are more tender, and have less intense flavor. Aso, be careful not to purchase stewing hens, as these are best used in soups, and stews, or braised. Your recipe will dictate what kind of chicken you should purchase,

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

The only time I've noticed an odd taste is with inexpensive leg quarters from older birds.

The first thing I would do is shop for my chicken at another store.

Some game recipes recommend soaking meat/poultry in saltwater, buttermilk, or regular milk to tenderize it, draw the blood, gamey flavor, etc...

Good luck!

Aunt Bea, I agree. My go-to is generally buttermilk after an initial soaking in saltwater when cooking game. It may work here.

My parents were big hunters, pheasant was always soaked in milk as you never new how old the bird was. Worked for them (and me).

Capons are neutered roosters and butchered at about 15 to 16 weeks. Heftier in the meat department but fattier.

Cornish hens mature a lot faster than your regular meat birds, quickly reaching their ideal weight of about 2 lbs for slaughter.

Your typical stewing hen is 'probably' an old layer, often 'dual' purpose, meaning that they are good layers but also reach a decent size for meat purposes.

Most box stores have production meat birds. I would doubt that they are "old" birds. Getting older birds would more likely be from small butchers who get them from local sources. Only butchers I've ever known like that are very honest in telling you that they are "stewing chickens."

Back
Top Bottom